Should I use one big light or 2 smaller ones?

RandyL

A couple friends and I are planning our first grow. I've got a room measuring 7.5 by 8.5 feet, and we have the papers to legally grow 25+ plants (California), although we are planning to do only 20 for the first time. First it was gonna be 6 plants, then 12, now 20 cause one of them can get a good deal on clones.

I have a choice to buy a 1000 watt ballast that is switchable with 1000 watt HPS and Metal Halide bulbs for $400, or I can buy 2 400 watt Metal Halide setups for $150 total from someone getting rid of their stuff. Then we'd have to get an HPS setup later.

Because of a ceiling fan in the middle of the room, the light bulb can't be farther than 6 feet from the floor if I use only one big bulb in the center.

Because of the amount of room that 20 plants will take up, do you think I'd be better off using 1 big bulb or 2 smaller ones for the vegging stage? I'm kind of split on the issue myself. I worry about a 1000 watt bulb not getting light to the outer edges well enough.

We ended up getting a pair of 400 watt Metal Halides for the vegging cycle. I'm planning to get a 1000 watt HPS for flowering, and more than likely I'll pick up another 400 watt HPS to help with it.

i agree with screwnuts. 2 600's on light mover or at least 2 400's on light mover to get full light coverage for 20 plants

Back
Top Bottom