Soil - Mel's Mix Anyone Use Try It Yet

BillZ

In researching soil mixes and brands all are using I haven't come across anyone here referencing Mel's Mix which is now available at HD online ordering. From reading there are hundreds of ways to go. Mix your own or buy a bag of a brand premixed soil. Obviously, the brands each have their own positives and negatives even in differing price ranges. Mixing your own is done quite a bit I'm seeing too; hum wonder what the percentages would really show? Any good guessers out there? Could it be 33%/33%/33% (mix your own/high price brands/box store brands)...

With that as a prelude I've come across Mel's Mix a smaller brand now being marketed through HD based upon Mel's gardening books. His niche is the "Square Foot Gardening" - almost sounds like it could be a grow room. Now they even sell pre-cut cedar lumber and sell it as square foot garden kits; sorry no tents. The mix is 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 mixed compost per Mel's recommendation and organic. Of course Mel's into tomatoes and he has his following. At $8.97 a bag 1.5 cubic ft which puts in the price range of other box store brands and I've seen seed companies recommend; Miracle Grow Organic Choice Mix, Miracle Grow Potting Mix, Kellogg's Potting Mix, Scott's Moisture Advangtage Potting Soil I just wondering if this stuff is a better quality than all those others? Then again, it's a good basic mix to start with that you could always add a little something too along the way.

Back
Top Bottom