Soil Preparation First Grow

Bobblunt

Hey guys!

I was just wondering when it's time to plant your seeds, how to prepare the soil to take the seeds.

Once the soil is in the pot, do I water the soil before putting in seed or how much is needed and when to water it?

Thanks!!

Hi Bobblunt.

Not sure how in depth you want to go with soil preparations prior to planting your seeds. I think a lot of the answer probably depends on the quality of the soil your starting with and which, if any, amendments you might be adding to your soil.

To respond to your last question; are the seeds already germinated? Regardless of the answer to that question, I wouldn't water the soil before planting the seed. Once the seed is planted I would give the soil a good soaking to ensure the soil settles down around the seed.

Frequency of watering is also somewhat dependent on whether seed is germed or not, but the overarching thing to remember with cannabis is that over watering is deadly! Cannabis thrives in dryish, well drained soil. Even with young seedlings, you're better off providing them an environment higher in humidity rather than watering the roots too frequently. You want to promote the strong root development that comes from roots seeking water rather than stunted roots that have all the water (or too much) they need without having to "reach" for it.

Ok thanks for the reply mate. The seeds are germinated and ready to plant I am starting with 3 NL x BB auto's. So you wouldn't water the soil first? Just soil in the pot, make a hole for the seed, then how much would you water, I mean is the soil supposed to be wet through or? I am using canna terra soil mix. Thanks!

Hi again Bobblunt.

No, I wouldn't water the soil until I got the sprouts in and covered. Then I would water the soil until it was pretty thoroughly damp but not really to the point of having any runoff. Are you planning on using anything over the pots to create a humidity dome of any sort?

Thanks man! No humidity dome, after speaking with different growers and doing own research they are going in the tent 18/6 all the way .... I am super excited! Is it normal for my Lumii ballast to get very hot? Right now it's coming to the end of it's first 18hr shift and it's hot as fk! Is this pretty standard or? Thanks guys!

Bob,

I'm not familiar with that particular ballast or manufacturer. I have read others that talked about their ballasts getting really hot, but am under the impression this occurred mostly with magnetic ballasts as opposed to digital ballasts.

Do you know if yours is magnetic or digital? Does it have any type of cooling fan built in? If so, is it functioning correctly/efficiently?

Back
Top Bottom