Springfield Councilman Wants To Okay Medical Marijuana

MedicalNeed

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - Higher taxes on tobacco - that's what Mayor Jim O'Neal would like to see as a priority in the next state Legislature. O'Neal talked about that issue on Tuesday as the City Council discussed what issues the city should advocate next year in the Legislature.

The mayor says the state falls dead last in the country when it comes to taxing tobacco. He believes it's time for Missouri to change that by hiking taxes. O'Neal says state legislators have the authority to do so under the Hancock Amendment, and it wouldn't require a vote by the citizens.

"Public health is affected by smoking and the cost of smoking needs to be borne more by those who smoke, and one-third of this proposal goes to health departments," said O'Neal.

One city councilman wants to take the debate over medical marijuana to the state capitol. Dan Chiles has a personal reason for wanting to see this controversial issue as a legislative priority.

Chiles said he is battling cancer. His personal ordeal has him taking a public position concerning medical marijuana use.

Chiles found out a few months ago that he has prostate cancer and he's been undergoing radiation treatments ever since. He says he didn't have any signs or symptoms. It was discovered through a prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test.

While he struggles through this battle, he says it's time to talk about legalizing medical marijuana.

"Now it's a personal question for me and I would like to be able to go to my doctor and be able to make that decision with him. So I think everybody in Springfield should have the same opportunity," said Chiles.

Chiles points out that other cities are passing ordinances allowing the use of medical marijuana.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed:420 MAGAZINE
Source:ky3.com
Author: KY3 News
Copyright: 2010, KY3-TV
Website:Mayor: legislature can okay higher tobacco taxes on its own. - ky3.com

Back
Top Bottom