Stalled seedlings with little to no leaves?

jokerlola

First time seed grower. I germinated some seeds in peat pellets and after they sprouted, I put them into solo cups. They barely developed any more leaves and now are just a stem with barely any small leaves. Is this from having the soil in the solo cups too wet? Can they be saved or are they done and I need to start over with new seeds?

They are photo period, regular seeds.

8E477874-15C4-40D6-BE5F-92DC5E1B84C5.jpeg

Looks like toast, i’d waterboard more beans for sure, seems to be a lot of stretching which indicates they are not getting enough light.

the first 2 leaves are cotyledons, they collect sun or artificial light but those cotys are shriveled up. The reason they are shriveled up is in addition to doing photosynthesis they are back up food source for the seedling. The seedlings drained to cotys because they didn’t get enough light to propel the first jagged pair of leaves. A compact fluorescen is enough to start a seedling on for a few days but after that they need good light. A regular incandescent light is not in the right spectrum to benefit our plants and the indirect light from the windiw isn’t much at all.

also that tile floor is really bad for our plants, lay a hygrometer on there - it’s about 55 degrees over night

Yes too wet and no try some more seeds. Looks like you need a closer light like a 7w LED desk lamp pretty close to them next time so they dont stretch so much.

I put a desk lamp about 8-10" away from the seedlings after I unwrap the pellet and put the pellet in soil.

What soil are you using in the cups?

I started them on a southeast facing window sill that gets a lot of sun for at least 4 hours in a humidity dome but that still must not have been enough light. 2 other seeds of a different strain are growing fine and not stretching.

Dont grow seedlings in the window they need dedicated 24/0 lighting. A desk lamp will do and you dont need a dome. Thats probably what caused the disease that killed your seedlings.
It's called damping off. Its a mold that likes damp conditions.

And here's your read on it:

How to prevent seedling damping off

Ditto on Bobrown skip the dome. Domes are for clones to keep rh high while a new cutting develops roots. Seedlings have roots so it’s not needed plus the dome can filter light or reflect it away from your seedlings. Which is better a newborn baby that needs an incubator to survive or one that is strong enough and does not need an incubator in the first place?.

That's what I figured. I'm used to starting other seeds this way (in a dome, on my windowsill) (tomatoes, peppers, etc.). I have only 2 other seeds of this strain so I will try them with a light and no dome. I hope one of them is a female.

We set up a table for all our seedlings for the veggie gardens with 24/0 lighting until they go outside and the cannabis seeds are right there beside them. No domes unless clones and I don't even do that most of the time.

GL with the next try.... you got this.

Thanks. I been growing for for about 4 years but from clones only. I was given a few seeds just reently and decided to give them a try. 2 are feminized and 4 are regular and 2 of the 4 are these that damped off so hopefully I will do better with the last 2 and hopefully one will be a female.

Seedlings are the hardest part of growing. Its when stuff happens plants die.

Over watering under watering I've done them all. Then there's the stubburn seeds that wont germinate.

I soak my seeds in H2o2 and water just a little bit of H2o2 like 10:1 water:peroxide ratio until there's a tap root. Then carefully with CLEAN tweezers put them in a peat pellet tail down and hope for the best.

When I see tap roots coming out of the peat pellets I take the wrapper off and put the pellet with the seedling in some old used soil and let em rip under a desk lamp for a few weeks. Add a little fan after a week helps strengthen the stemps.

Pro tip: Dont touch the stem with your fingers on seedlings.

I'm planning on growing these seedlings outside. I'm germinating the remaining 2 seeds with the coffee filter/paper towel method and then into peat pellets and then into solo cups or small pots and then eventually into 5 gal Smart Pots. When should I put them outside? I'm in Colorado so we are in the high 70's/ low 80's right now but we will probably be back to the 90's soon. Or do I even need to use the peat pellets?

This is what I did with the 2 that lost their leaves. Once I put them into solo cups, I started gving them more air in the dome and then leaving them outside of the dome for longer and longer and that's when the leaves shriveled although the leaves were always very small and undeveloped.

I don’t grow outdoors yet. Most here start indoors under a light even a compact fluorescent will get them started but go thru hardening off process to get them slowly acclimated for outdoors.

there’s a million ways to germ & startup but if autos best to start in large final container at least 3 gallons and no transplant for autos. Photos can be transplanted multiple times with no probs

For now I would skip the dome & start indoors under a light then after you get several healthy nodes going you can begin to harden them off for outdoors. I’ve had probs with roots not penetrating peat pellets well, some folks germ in pellets then cut the membrane off and transplant into solo cups. Rapid rooters work well too or you can go straight into solo cup if the soil mix isn’t too hot.

I'm planning on growing these seedlings outside. I'm germinating the remaining 2 seeds with the coffee filter/paper towel method and then into peat pellets and then into solo cups or small pots and then eventually into 5 gal Smart Pots. When should I put them outside? I'm in Colorado so we are in the high 70's/ low 80's right now but we will probably be back to the 90's soon. Or do I even need to use the peat pellets?

This is what I did with the 2 that lost their leaves. Once I put them into solo cups, I started gving them more air in the dome and then leaving them outside of the dome for longer and longer and that's when the leaves shriveled although the leaves were always very small and undeveloped.
So you're going to repeat the same process and expect a different outcome?

Not sure thats the best plan.

It's just me but I'd try a different path if the first one I tried was a fail.

My soaking seeds in a glass cup of water with water + Peroxide at 9:1 ratio is a tried a true method.

Paper is a bad medium to start seeds in.

Here's the reason:

Paper industry uses chemicals to dye the paper, they also add other chemicals to kill bacteria and prevent bacteria from growing.

These are 2 reasons why I do not use paper products for germinating seed. Its not necessary, and depending on the paper can be counter productive.

Some seeds I have cost me $20 per seed. I cant afford to have fails.

Just trying to help out.

Actually I have decided against starting the seeds in coffee filters. I originally started 6 seeds. 2 from one strain I started directly in peat pods in a Jiffy tray and then into soil in solo cups and they are doing good. I mis-remembered that the seeds that failed, I started directly in soil in solo cups in a humidity dome. 1 of the seeds didn't pop another seemed to damp off right away and the other 2 damped off after first emerging successfully but then excessively stretching. I just planted the 2 remaining seeds I have in peat pods and will follow the same step I did with the 2 seedlings that are doing good except I will keep them under a light and take the Jiffy lid off when they emerge.

You know it's funny, when it doesn't matter, I have started seeds just sticking them in some dirt and have never had a failure. My Dad used to own a bar and we would find baggies of pot in the booths that would fall out of peoples pockets all the time and there would often be bag seeds in them. For the hell of it, I would plant the seeds in an old pot
that had some dirt from a long dead house plant or I would plant them in the garden and they would always grow easy, big and strong. Never had a failure. I just would never take them to term because of it being illegal at the time. Now that it counts, I'm having all kinds of trouble! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom