stream water?

thatdude1

So this is my 2nd but first real grow and i got alot questions. I know its gonna be a big learning process but i would like to know things before i do. But let me get to the first question of many. So ima be movin my plants outside in like a week and gettin water out to where there gonna be will be a pain cuz its out there. But there is a stream near by and i was thinkIng if i got a pump and a pump filter bag I could take water out of there. or is the s*** in the water gonna just Gonna kill them. just wanna know if it would be fine or if you guys gonna tell me to get ready to carry gallons of water out there every time i go out

As long as the stream is freshwater, you're all good. Outdoor plants up in the mountains get the best water supply of them all, fresh & straight from the source; By the time it trickles down to the rivers & creeks, it's been through some stuff but nature has her own way of filtering water.

You might want to check the pH from a couple of different samples before using it, though, just to be safe... :grinjoint:

Hi thatdude1,

Ideally for a soil grow (I guess you're using soil if you can move them about!) the pH level should be around 6.5 to 7, although a point or so either way shouldn't be a problem! As Cali said, try and take a couple of samples to test. If you're on a mountainside, take your supply from as high as you can, before the water has a chance to pick up contaminants/minerals from the rocks - makes your job easier too, let gravity shift the water for you ;)
Have a look around the stream, are there a lot of plants there? Do they look healthy - are there discoloured or curled leaves, are they big and bushy or small and sparse*, can they grow right on the waters edge, how many different species can you count? All these answers will be of great help, and it takes nothing more than walking around for 10 minutes and keeping your eyes open!

*Some mountainous plants grow kind of 'stubby' and small anyway, so just look to see how healthy they are!

By the way, if you're not by a mountain you should investigate where the stream comes from and goes to.. If it runs close to farmers' fields you will have to be careful as the stream may turn out to be akin to ditchwater! What with all the ferts and pesticides farmers use these days, that water could be contaminated which may spell disaster for your plants. However if it mostly runs through meadows/unused land, it *should* be quite safe!

Back
Top Bottom