Techniques for long term storage needed

Oldgrowth

There's about 4 lbs of Hindu Kush-the perfect stain to fight my symptoms from a very rare neuro-muscular disease- staring at me from the shelf. It's like the Weavers' song "corn in the field, wheat in the bin," suggesting future meds security. Rapidly mounting mobility and dexterity problems cast a cloud on future outside grows in So. Cal. So.....what I'd appreciate now is advice about LONG TERM STORAGE. I may not be able to grow next year from a wheelchair. On the other hand, maybe I'll be back to the Forum later for advice about just how to do that? Huge thanks to the Forum for providing so much crucial help over the past few months. Peace and Love sisters and brothers.

There's about 4 lbs of Hindu Kush-the perfect stain to fight my symptoms from a very rare neuro-muscular disease- staring at me from the shelf. It's like the Weavers' song "corn in the field, wheat in the bin," suggesting future meds security. Rapidly mounting mobility and dexterity problems cast a cloud on future outside grows in So. Cal. So.....what I'd appreciate now is advice about LONG TERM STORAGE. I may not be able to grow next year from a wheelchair. On the other hand, maybe I'll be back to the Forum later for advice about just how to do that? Huge thanks to the Forum for providing so much crucial help over the past few months. Peace and Love sisters and brothers.
I've heard of people keeping weed in sealed jars for multiple years.

Sent from my VS985 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

TY my friend. The meds are snug in 48 0z Bell jars. I have Qs about whether the herb needs air conditioning, refrigeration, or freezing to prevent any degradation, at least as much as possible. Tho I live near the coast in So. Cal. with chronic Spring-like temps but occasionally my non air-conditioned abode gets very hot (like during the 100+ degree day Monday) so... heat effects are a concern.

Edibles and kief are an option to storing herb.

TY. Do you have to refrigerate or freeze or does room temp work? It seems to be curing well. How long have you seen the potency preserved? (This well may have to be my lifetime supply so I need to get this right.)

TY. Do you have to refrigerate or freeze or does room temp work? It seems to be curing well. How long have you seen the potency preserved? (This well may have to be my lifetime supply so I need to get this right.)
If I had to take a stab at it, I would say that as long as they're in the dark and are under 60% RH then you're safe from mold. To my knowledge, the only way you can lose potency to heat is if temps exceed the temp in which THC turns to smoke. So something like 200+ F. I wouldn't recommend freezing the weed unless you've done some pretty extensive research and need to. If you're thinking life time, a safe bet would be to make them into concentrates then freeze them. So if you have the means to make hash oil or rosin, that would be a great way to store your meds. I know for a fact that you can keep weed for at least a year in sealed jars without losing potency. That gives you at least a year to figure it out. I would definitely give it more research.

If I had to take a stab at it, I would say that as long as they're in the dark and are under 60% RH then you're safe from mold. To my knowledge, the only way you can lose potency to heat is if temps exceed the temp in which THC turns to smoke. So something like 200+ F. I wouldn't recommend freezing the weed unless you've done some pretty extensive research and need to. If you're thinking life time, a safe bet would be to make them into concentrates then freeze them. So if you have the means to make hash oil or rosin, that would be a great way to store your meds. I know for a fact that you can keep weed for at least a year in sealed jars without losing potency. That gives you at least a year to figure it out. I would definitely give it more research.

Makes sense. TY SW, I'll share what I find out re the long term.

Makes sense. TY SW, I'll share what I find out re the long term.
Would love to hear it Oldgrowth, sorry to hear it has become too difficult to maintain a grow yourself. The community here is amazing and I would be willing to bet that someone can put you in touch with someone who can provide your meds for you as well.

I have Qs about whether the herb needs air conditioning, refrigeration, or freezing to prevent any degradation, at least as much as possible.

Edibles and kief are an option to storing herb.

The lower the temps, the slower the THC oxidizes. I was just reading some threads about this on here a few days ago, if I recall correctly, the author(s) claimed that somewhere between 10-40% of the THC can be lost in a year at room temperature. I believe they said the ideal temperature was 2°C. Light also increases the rate of degradation. I think the lowest drawer/shelf of your refrigerator would be the best location, wrapped in something to keep light from hitting it.

Someone also suggested adding an antioxidant (such as chewable vitamin C tablets) inside the container. That seemed a little iffy to me, but might be worth looking into.

Hey I don't know if this helps but I found a little bag in a car that had been sitting in the sun for about two years, it was so brown it looked like tobacco but it smoked great!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

The lower the temps, the slower the THC oxidizes. I was just reading some threads about this on here a few days ago, if I recall correctly, the author(s) claimed that somewhere between 10-40% of the THC can be lost in a year at room temperature. I believe they said the ideal temperature was 2°C. Light also increases the rate of degradation. I think the lowest drawer/shelf of your refrigerator would be the best location, wrapped in something to keep light from hitting it.

Someone also suggested adding an antioxidant (such as chewable vitamin C tablets) inside the container. That seemed a little iffy to me, but might be worth looking into.
Good info thanks.

I've both used my freezers and just a cool dark place downstairs to store vacuum bags, with no noticeable difference in smell taste or potency...if not for going away for a couple months...I would prolly store my mason jars in the cupboard I'm using now...the bags however take up way less space and are easier to stash in my absence...I still have one bag from 2014(couple zips) which I expect will be just fine...cheerz...h00k...

Back
Top Bottom