Tewksbury Township Man Not Eligible For MMJ Program After Doctor Retires

Truth Seeker

Only a handful of patients initially signed up for New Jersey's medical marijuana program. Township resident David Barnes, who qualifies for the program due to a debilitating digestive disorder, was not one of them, despite his desire to participate.

In the past year, while waiting for the program to begin, Barnes has been to the emergency room four times after experiencing seizures. Meanwhile, his doctor of more than 15 years – who signed up a year ago with the physicians' registry – experienced his own health problems and was forced to retire from practicing medicine.

Only doctors who are registered can submit patients' names for the program. Since Barnes no longer has a doctor, Barnes cannot register himself.

In 1990 a doctor recommended marijuana to help soothe the symptoms of cyclic vomiting syndrome he had. While not a cure for the attacks – that occur with no warning and last for up to three days – the marijuana does lessen them, Barnes said.

The New Jersey medical marijuana law was adopted in January 2010 but implementation has been slow as legislators argue about how to regulate the program. Last year the state approved six centers that will dispense the marijuana to patients. None are in Hunterdon.

Medical marijuana is still not available to patients.

"I hope I do not have to find another doctor and wait another year, but right now, I don't know," Barnes said.

Meanwhile, Barnes has had to deal with the ramifications of using marijuana illegally for the last 20 years.

ImageServerDB.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: nj.com
Author: Lillian Shupe
Website: Tewksbury Township man not eligible for medical marijuana program after doctor retires | NJ.com

Back
Top Bottom