TN: Marijuana Ordinance Squeaks By With 7-6 City Council Vote

Katelyn Baker

Never has so little a change been applauded by so many. I mean, consider this--marijuana is still illegal. You can still be arrested, still be convicted, still end up in jail for possession of half an ounce or less. But now, in Memphis and in Nashville, police can also just give you a citation...a ticket...a $50 fine.

It's now on the books, approved by a 7 to 6 vote. They don't get closer than that. Supporters say that young African-Americans are arrested and charged with possession much more than others in the city. They say that starting somebody off with a court conviction and a possible jail sentence can ruin a persons life. It's why Memphis City Council members Berlin Boyd, Martavius Jones, and Patrice Robinson argued in favor of the changes.

There was opposition...the most passionate coming from Memphis City Council member Janice Fullilove. Fullilove argued the change sends the wrong message to young folks in the city. "They will think it's ok to drive and smoke marijuana. They will figure it's only a $50 fine. We should discourage them from driving under the influence of marijuana. Just like we should discourage them from driving under the influence, something I know about all too well." Fullilove has been charged with D-U-I before.

The majority of people watching the meeting were in favor of the changes. One of them was John Marek, a former city council candidate, who said "This is really not even decriminalization. Decriminalization would mean removing all legal penalties against this. We can't remove state law. So all we're doing is offering an alternative.

One of the only critics of the plan was former police department employee Elbirth Hudson of Memphis. Hudson is 77 years old and told council members "I was with the police department for ten years. Back in the day, we were told, don't use it. And that's what the city council should be saying.

Mayor Jim Strickland has not taken a lead in these discussions. "To me, jail is for violent criminals," he said. "Those that don't commit violent crime should not be in jail." But Strickland has been disappointed with the lack of discussion on marijuana itself. "There has been some talk as to whether marijuana is a gateway drug," he said. "But throughout this process there's been no one with an expertise, a counselor, or a doctor, who has come forward and really vetted that issue. And I kind of wish that happened."

There is more than a good chance that the Tennessee State Legislature will look at changing what Memphis and Nashville have done, when it comes to punishment. State Senate Majority Leader Mark Norris (R) Collierville, says he knows several members of the Senate Judiciary Committee concerned about cities trying to change state law. The legislature will return to work next January.

CoryMorse.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana Ordinance Squeaks By With 7-6 City Council Vote
Author: Mike Matthews
Photo Credit: Cory Morse

Back
Top Bottom