Tommy Chong for President - Pot and Politics Working Together

Johnny

Summertime is officially old news and the upcoming election is the spiciest political fixation in the federal arena since Bill Clinton occupied the oval office. All we can do now is look forward to the upcoming media frenzy surrounding the ballot box while glancing back to remember the sun-filled days that won't return for almost a year.

But don't fret. If you're looking to keep the nonchalant attitude of summer going until at least Thanksgiving, pick up the hottest documentary out there: United States of America v. Thomas B Kin Chong, AKA Tommy Chong.

Cleverly tagged "the movie the Bush Administration doesn't want you to see," it definitely is one film you don't want to miss. The documentary tells of the arrest of marijuana icon Tommy Chong, the man who found fame and a career by representing everything people found fascinating yet considered taboo.

While you're at it, you might as well add his latest book, Cheech & Chong, The Unauthorized Biography to your shopping list. I have a signed copy myself, which I acquired on August 13th when Tommy Chong graced New York City's Bryant Park reading room with his presence.

An outdoor venue, New Yorkers passing through the park had the privilege to listen to the man who "smoked with every Beatle except Paul." And, despite the fact that marijuana is closely associated with memory loss, Tommy Chong's visit to NYC stands out as one of summertime's unforgettable moments.

Using his laid-back ideology and humor, Chong described his life framed by the use of marijuana. He also pointed out the vast difference between the person you're perceived as and the person you really are. With an intriguing philosophy on life that includes mantras like "there is no night and day, darkness is only the absence of light," Tommy Chong certainly communicated in a manner that would soften even the most uptight members of the anti-drug camp.

Marijuana has long been a controversial issue (especially in the United States), yet despite this fact, Mr. Chong still believes that the herb is the least of our worries. "I mean, they advertise fast food and then they worry about kids smoking pot," he said.

Now that's a campaign slogan and a perspective that kind of makes one wonder what the world would look like if men like Tommy sat in the big seat as opposed to spending time sitting behind bars.

"Everyday in prison became an adventure," he said. Now if one can have such a positive outlook on getting arrested, imagine the good he could do for a nation. After all, he seems to possess at least some of the qualities that the American people are looking for in a leader – charismatic, eloquent, and generally knowledgeable. Yes, he may lack in the area of political experience, but that has never stopped a presidential (or vice presidential) candidate from entering the race with high hopes before.

As president, Tommy Chong would make his priorities clear from day one: Promote world peace by bringing our troops home, and then fix the current US financial woe by legalizing marijuana and creating a hemp/cannabis-based economy.

And how would this happen? Well, growing pot is like growing money. As a cash crop, growing pot would be like growing money, or at least according to Tommy Chong. In fact, he even considers marijuana to be the "perfect law" because "pot is the great equalizer." Chong described weed as the great "common denominator" based on the belief that, when it comes to marijuana, all smokers are created equal.

Talk about a unifying campaign for world peace.

Despite our best efforts, the irony of drug policy cannot be ignored. Bob Marley once described the herb as the healing of a nation and alcohol as its destruction. Today, drinking is an accepted part of American culture, but how soon we forget that not even 100 years past, having a cocktail was just as illegal as lighting up a blunt.

The truth is, we may not be living in Amsterdam, but marijuana is still sprinkled all over our culture like salt (or sugar, for those who are pro-pot). And as Tommy Chong cleverly pointed out, even Moses had conversations with "the burning bush."

In the end, the greatest irony of all is Chong's life story, defying the perceived cultural image of pot smokers. He has had quite a successful career as an idol of the counter-culture, with two books and six movies under his belt, in addition to many adoring fans.

Given his achievements, Tommy Chong may not be running for president, but he nevertheless has reached the American Dream.

News Hawk: Johnny: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Buzzine
Author: Candi Sterling
Copyright: 2008 11th Man Media

Tommy Chong is a Canadian - so no chance at presidency. On the other hand, maybe he should come back home and run for Prime Minister.

You do not know how happy that would make me, wordsworm. :cheesygrinsmiley:

What's depressing is that will never happen - what's worse, we'll probably get a stronger Tory government.

What a tragedy to lose a great voice for the legalization of MJ in Canada. I wish he hadn't resigned.

One of Larsen's declarations ):
"END MARIJUANA PROHIBITION: I believe in ending the failed "war on drugs" which causes more harm than it prevents. Canada should join other nations who are developing drug policies based upon harm reduction, human rights and accurate science. As your MP, I would work to end marijuana prohibition, to implement supervised injection sites such as InSite in any communities that want and need them, and to develop better policies which treat drug use as a health and social issue, and not a primarily criminal one. "

I for one think that all MJ activists around Canada should email him and the NDP and demand that he *not* step down as an NDP candidate.

His email address: dana@danalarsen.ca

Back
Top Bottom