Two Arrested At Hayward Club

Wilbur

Federal agents arrested the owner and manager of a Hayward medical marijuana dispensary Tuesday and accused them of using the business as a front to sell pot for profit.

Shon Squier, 34, owner of the Local Patients Cooperative, and Valerie Herschel, 23, its manager, both Hayward residents, were charged with distribution of marijuana and maintaining drug-involved premises, prosecutors said. They said police seized indoor growing equipment, hundreds of plants and cookies, brownies and other food that contained marijuana.

Local officials recently ordered the dispensary, one of two in Hayward, to close because it had more marijuana on site than the city allowed. No one at the cooperative could be reached for comment Tuesday.

On Oct. 3, 15 people were arrested and nearly 13,000 plants seized by federal agents in a medical marijuana raid at eight locations in San Francisco and Oakland that were affiliated with the New Remedies Cooperative.

Those facilities, and others raided by federal officers, were established after California voters passed an initiative in 1996 legalizing the medical use of marijuana, with a doctor's approval. Federal law bans possession and distribution of marijuana.

In the Hayward case, an FBI agent said in a sworn affidavit that officers staked out the Foothill Boulevard location five times in October and November and saw healthy-looking men entering and leaving the building each time, carrying bags the officers believed contained marijuana.

The only other evidence the agent cited to show that the dispensary was selling drugs to nonmedical patients was a newspaper article saying police had found 10 times as much marijuana on the premises as the city's rules allowed.

Newshawk: User - 420 Magazine
Source: San Francisco Chronicle
Pubdate: 13 December 2006
Author: Bob Egelko
Copyright: 2006 San Francisco Chronicle
Website: SF Gate: News and Information for the San Francisco Bay Area

Dealers.. they got a little greedy.

Gets 'em every time.

:thedoubletake: If they were guilty of selling to non-MMJ patients and basically street dealing, then they need to pay the fine & do the time...but those federal assholes who supposedly staked out this clinic 5 times and found only "healthy young men" going in & out of that place are practicing medicine without a license...they diagnosed the men as healthy, with nothing to support it...I have gluacoma, protein C & S deficiency (means I make blood clots fast/very life threatening cond.), an arthritic R knee and chronic back pain...that isn't everything, but that got my prescription legit...I often walk like a normal healthy young man in & out of my clinic and I'm concerned these DEA nazis would pull that shit on me.:sasmokin:

Pinch, can we get you to talk a little sense into your good pals at the DEA?

Sleep Apnea and Degenerative Disk Disorder here. I 'look' perfectly healthy.

if i take pain killers and go early in the morning and don't use my wheelchair and leave my cane in the truck, and i don't need to walk very far, or stand very long, or sit very long, and if my hep c isn't in overdrive, then i can look pretty healthy.

go sit in the walmart pharmacy or any busy pharmacy and see how many healthy looking people you see getting their px filled. its nuthin but profiling.

i love going to schwagstock. if not for my wheelchair i wouldn't be able to go. but it needs to be charged sometimes. i can walk, but it hurts. so i go plug it in and slowly walk back to camp if i can't catch a ride. then in the morning same thing in reverse. people say things like that guy doesn't really need that wheelchair, he can walk. sometimes the music gets good to me and i get outa my chair and using my cane go up front and leaning on my cane sorta boogie a bit. i pay for it with pain later. people judge me for that too. to many preconceived ideas about people with illnesses. fuck what people think. i'm gonna do my best and use what tools i need along the way. sorry bout' the rant.

The authorities' account of the FBI stake-out was silly but it is directed at the medical marijuana patient's access to his or her medicine.

It is silly too. :peace: :cheesygrinsmiley:

Remember.. the Feds are invited into our communities.. this call was a hard one to argue with.

Pinch said:
The authorities' account of the FBI stake-out was silly but it is directed at the medical marijuana patient's access to his or her medicine.

It is silly too. :peace: :cheesygrinsmiley:

Remember.. the Feds are invited into our communities.. this call was a hard one to argue with.

The feds are invited into our communities? Who does that?

fugly said:
The feds are invited into our communities? Who does that?

Local law enforcement, local politicians.. if you read stories in the future go ahead and email the reporter and ask them.. they'll always mention a local or county or state agency working in concert with the Feds.

I just wrote the reporter and we'll see what he says. Later..

:peace: :cheesygrinsmiley:

This is a club I regularly visit. This is the club I stood in line with 38 other people. This is alot of people coming in and out of this establishment, and they offer no help in trying to help you select meds for your specific need. I have written a couple reviews about this club.

There is another club only a block from there (The garden of Eden)that does not serve mass amounts of people. They were not raided. It's a very laid back club, and the owners treat MMJ patients with compassion. This type of club should be the standard and not the exception.

I went to this club because the price was right. But volumne, volumne, volumne is not what it's all about. Read more and this guy had over 2 million dollars in liquid assests. He had a list of high priced cars and motorcyles. Way to not bring attention to yourself. And why do you NEED a sign on the door that says "One visit per day"? I'm lucky if I can make it once a week!!! Interesting...

I visit another club in the same area. It operates the same way as this club does - it's get in, get out.. Again, the price is good, and I don't have to travel farther. But it will not suprise me any day to hear of that club raided too.

If this other club meets the same fate, that will leave only one small club south of the hayward area. So it will be a drive farther north or all the way to Santa Cruz for some patients.

I think I was trying to make a point here, but I am too busy holding my hand over my mouth to remember.

Peace and happy holidays

There is another club only a block from there (The garden of Eden)that does not serve mass amounts of people. They were not raided.

The last sentence needs to be changed to 'they have not yet been raided' to be accurate. Don't kid yourself for a second that every dispensary in the state is going to be taken out.

Pythaglio said:
The last sentence needs to be changed to 'they have not yet been raided' to be accurate. Don't kid yourself for a second that every dispensary in the state is going to be taken out.

I agree with you. From my perspective, the feds started in San Diego and proceeded to Palm Springs and they are moving in towards the LA dispensaries. I have been told by people in a position to know that there are police officers on the payroll in Hollywood to keep the places out there open. It's insane to me that weed ever became illegal at all. This whole state needs weed to straighten itself out.

Pinch said:
Local law enforcement, local politicians.. if you read stories in the future go ahead and email the reporter and ask them.. they'll always mention a local or county or state agency working in concert with the Feds.

I just wrote the reporter and we'll see what he says. Later..

:peace: :cheesygrinsmiley:
Call on California's Senators to Better Protect Patients and Providers

Yesterday, I witnessed the DEA raid the Local Patients Cooperative in Hayward, California. This dispensary was slated to close at the end of the year at the request of the city of Hayward, but the DEA and the Hayward Police Department felt the need to attack these providers in their last weeks of operation

Take a Minute to Help End DEA Raids on Medical Marijuana Providers! : Indybay

"The feds are invited into our communities? Who does that?"
And there you go Mr Fugly..:peace: :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom