Utah: Cannabis Oil Has Seemingly Worked Wonders For Madelena

Jacob Redmond

Our neurologist had a hard time believing his own data.

Last week at our appointment for Madelena, he had to keep checking his notes from our last visit in February. Madelena has made measurable improvements in her motor function and ability to detect sensation. Her peripheral neuropathy is gone. Her walking gait has improved substantially. This has all happened in the last three months since we started her on cannabis oil.

In January we noticed some declines in Madelena's ability to walk and balance. She had great difficulty using her hands and had very little to no sensation below her knees. She had started to have absence seizures more frequently. We had her 2-year post-transplant blood work done, and the results, though not catastrophic, were not very good either.

We made the difficult decision to administer cannabis oil to our daughter in hopes of supporting her neurological system and giving her a fighting chance to live a full and happy life.

The oil has worked wonders. The seizures have been controlled, and she is walking now better than she ever has. Her balance has improved, and her fine motor skills are improving. We don't know what her long term outcomes will be. But we have material evidence that the oil is improving her quality of life.

Our neurologist was hesitant to attribute the gains that Madelena has made to the oil, as he, like any other scientist, wants clinical studies to substantiate the claim that Madelena's improvements are directly due to the cannabis plant. He said that even if it was a proven remedy, he would have expected the gains she made to be more modest and take longer. Her results were just too good! It was difficult for him to believe that she could have had so much improvement in so short a time.

It was enough for me, though. We have taken her off of the oil for a little while to see if the results will last. One side effect of the oil is that she gets sleepy, and we've noticed that this last week, without using the oil, she has been a bit perkier.

These are the tough decisions that we have to make regarding our daughter's care. We want to give her every opportunity to enjoy her life and be as healthy as possible, but when the cure makes her tired, we have to find the right balance. This, however, is a problem that I am happy to have.

When we explained to Madelena that she was actually improving, she was ecstatic. "I'm going to live – I'm getting better!" is what she will tell anyone within earshot.

Until now, this poor, sweet girl has been carrying around the burden of knowing that she has a terminal disease and will most likely leave this earth early. What a heavy load to carry. It took her a day to switch gears and shift her focus to living, instead of passing on to the next life so that she could "be with Tori." This poor girl had taken her situation and compared it to her sister's.

Of course it is natural, don't we all try to guess at our outcomes based on someone else's experience? Her sweet sister died eight months ago. It is natural for Madelena to wonder if she would have the same fate.

I, too, have worried about that. It is hard not to believe that they will go down the same path. For months, anytime she would have difficulty doing something, Madelena would ask me if Tori had the same problems before she died. She was trying to gauge if her symptoms were reaching a point that she should worry about her own mortality.

But here's the thing: Just because Tori died, doesn't mean that Madelena will. Madelena has her own path, which we have to figure out as we go along, just like everyone else does. We'll just take it as it comes, and try to not let our past experiences overshadow what lies ahead of us.

I am just so grateful that we have access to this oil and that has been able to give my daughter a new lease on life.

14465.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: The Choice Life: Cannabis oil has seemingly worked wonders for Madelena : Mom Click
Author: Emily & Aaron Campbell
Photo Credit: Campbell Family

Back
Top Bottom