Vet Helps With Push To Get Medical Marijuana Approved For PTSD

Hundreds of medical conditions are approved for marijuana use under state law, but post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is not one of them.

Some PTSD patients say cannabis helps them cope and they do not understand why it is not on the list.

"Medical marijuana helps me in so many ways, it's letting me eat and letting me sleep. It changed my life," Army veteran Kevin Grimsinger said.

Grimsinger, along with dozens of supporters, including Rep. Joe Miklosi (D-Denver), joined the Sensible Colorado Organization at the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) Wednesday in an effort to add PTSD to the list.

"We think it's fundamentally wrong that people that have served this country and laid their lives on the line don't get the option. They deserve access to any medical marijuana treatment option," said Brian Vicente with the Sensible Colorado Organization.

In 2000, when voters approved medical marijuana, PTSD was not on the list, but a provision that allows citizens to petition the CDPHE was.

So they presented Mark Selley at the CDPHE with the petition on Wednesday.

The CDPHE now has 120 days to determine whether the issue will get a public hearing and then an additional 60 days to accept or deny it.

Experts disagree on the effectiveness of marijuana and medical illnesses, including PTSD.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: 9NEWS.com
Author: Jeffrey Wolf Corey Rose
Copyright: 2010 Multimedia Holdings Corporation.
Website: Vet helps with push to get medical marijuana approved for PTSD

Back
Top Bottom