WI: Woman Shares Her Successes With Using Medical Marijuana

Katelyn Baker

Eau Claire, Wis. - It's already become legal in dozens of states, and now some lawmakers are embracing the idea of making medical marijuana legal here in Wisconsin.

Two democratic lawmakers are hoping to move Wisconsin closer to legalization, with the introduction of two pieces of legislation, Monday.

The first bill would legalize the use of medical marijuana for patients with qualifying conditions. The second would put the question to voters in the form of a nonbinding statewide referendum.

One Rock Falls woman says using medical marijuana is one of the reasons she's still living free of pain after being terminally diagnosed with lupus.

Melissa Kent has been taking a prescription known as Dronabinol, a form of cannabis containing THC oil, approved in specific states for those suffering from a terminal illness, in Kent's case, systemic lupus.

"I was stiff and the pain level after about a month was getting pretty high. I then spoke with my regular physician and she asked me if I wanted to try it, and said you are qualified to use it, this is considered a terminal disease," says Kent.

She says her multiple medications weren't helping, but making her symptoms worse, which is when she turned to the form of medical marijuana, and it worked. Kent says she has none of the side effects she once did with the other drugs she was taking.

Now, more than ever, Kent is urging lawmakers to give people in Wisconsin the option to use medical marijuana.

"I would like to see people use it who have Parkinson's and leukemia, and those suffering from cancer. I think it would be a breakthrough in medicine if they would legalize this," says Kent.

Republican chair of the 3rd congressional district, Brian Westrate says this is an issue that should be discussed on both sides of the aisle.

"There are people for whom medical marijuana appears to be the only remedy as an end of life care issue or perhaps medical science has failed to come up with a way to lessen their pain with an ailment their dealing with. I don't advocate the use of illegal drugs or smoking anything... I think this would be something that would be worthwhile to put before the people," says Westrate.

As for Kent, she just wants people to feel the best, when they're at their worse.

"It's important for people to remove that stigma and taboo that's with marijuana, simply because it is natural. I've learned life's short. You do what you can to survive," says Kent.

According to democratic senator Kathleen Vinehout, sixty-one percent of Americans live in a state that legalized the use of medical marijuana and nearly 80% of Wisconsinites support medical marijuana.

WEAU did reach out to several local republican lawmakers to comment on this topic. We are still waiting to hear back at this time.

pills3.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Woman Shares Her Successes With Using Medical Marijuana
Author: Noelle Anderson
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom