Women Take On Increasing Role In NM's Medical Cannabis Industry

Katelyn Baker

Rachael Speegle, director of operations at the Verdes Foundation, New Mexico's highest-grossing medical cannabis producer in the first quarter of 2016, says when she was working as a registered nurse she never felt conspicuous or disadvantaged as a woman.

When she transitioned into the world of medical cannabis, on the other hand, she stood out.

"I felt like I was one of the only women in the room," she said. "There wasn't a lot of strong female leadership."

Speegle says she's proud to be a part of an organization that is working to change that.

When the tech industry took off in Silicon Valley, Speegle says, women had few leadership opportunities and little to no investment options. To make up for the lack of female leadership, organizers created Women 2.0 to encourage and support women in tech. Borrowing an idea from fellow powerful women, medical cannabis leaders have founded Women Grow.

"The idea is to make sure women hold positions of leadership at the inception of the cannabis industry," Speegle said. "It's very important because commodification of women's bodies has historically been a part of the cannabis culture, and we wanted the emerging industry to be respectful and women-focused."

She says it all began at a national cannabis conference in the summer of 2014. Speegle attended a women and cannabis workshop at the event and was blown away by the presentation.

"I was so overwhelmed by the presence," she said. "I realized I wanted to be a part of this hierarchy of leadership."

That conference was the first "pitch" for Women Grow, and Speegle was so inspired by the idea of a networking community for female leadership in the cannabis industry that she brought a chapter to New Mexico in September 2014. She is the chair for the Albuquerque chapter of the organization.

She says there's always good attendance, despite the small size of New Mexico's cannabis market.

"It brings competitors into one room to talk about what needs to happen in the industry," she said. "We share all of our secrets and all of our opportunities with each other."

Attendees pay $25 to attend each event, and most events involve networking and talks from a variety of speakers. There's no recurring membership fee, just the $25 fee.

Speegle says the success of Women Grow in the state has put New Mexico on the map when it comes to the medical cannabis industry. She gave a speech at the national Women Grow leadership summit in February, and the organization gave away scholarships so local producers could attend as well.

She says female leadership is very important to Verdes for a number of reasons. She wants women to feel safe in their store and, when the company began focusing on women, it saw an increase in revenue.

"Women open the doors for other minorities," she said. "Through Women Grow we've created opportunities and had ideas that would otherwise fizzle out."

lady.png

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Women Take On Increasing Role In NM's Medical Cannabis Industry
Author: Marissa Higdon
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom