World's First Marijuana Gym, Power Plant Fitness, Plans To Open In California In 2016

Katelyn Baker

Novato, California - Before Jim McAlpine works out...

... he lights up.

"I personally use it for focus. It's not about getting high. It's about keeping my mind engaged in the activity I'm in," said Jim McAlpine, Founder of Power Plant Fitness

McAlpine believes there are many athletes out there who feel the same way.

So he's in the process of opening what he's calling "the world's first cannabis gym" in San Francisco.

"I make a joke that when I was eighteen the world's first cannabis gym was in my parent's garage and they didn't know about it."

McAlpine is partnering with a former pro football player known for his marijuana use.

Ricky Williams was in the Bay Area leading a yoga class at a recent cannabis business conference.

He says he's trying to dispel the stigma around it.

Ricky Williams, former football star, "I think a lot of people buy into the stoner stereotype where guys just sit on the couch, smoke and don't do anything and they're not very motivated. That's not my experience. I found when I was playing football, using cannabis helped me relax physically, mentally and even spiritually."

The former Heisman Trophy winner's marijuana use cost him during his playing days.

He was repeatedly suspended by the National Football League for testing positive for pot.

"It should definitely be taken off the banned list. If cannabis wasn't on the NFL's banned list, I'd probably be going into the Hall of Fame this year" said Williams.

There is a growing push among current players, including the Titans' Derrick Morgan, for the NFL to study how medical marijuana could help players.

While the potential benefits of marijuana on exercise have not been scientifically proven or studied thoroughly, doctors who work with cannabis patients say it can be used to manage post-workout pain.

Perry Solomon, Chief Medical Officer for HelloMD, said "Whether it be arthritis, back pain, cancer pain, knee pain, etc. Across the board, pain is number one. So to use cannabis in that sense for pain relief instead of the usual things you're able to use now like Opioids is hands down why you would use it."

For now, gym members will need a medical cannabis prescription, but that could change if California votes to legalize the recreational use of marijuana in November.

McAlpine adds, "I feel lucky to be alive in the time and place in the world to be able to actualize this because five or ten years ago there's no way this could have ever happened."

The gym partners say they're currently finalizing Power Plant's San Francisco lease and plan to open by the end of the year.

0leaf.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: World's First Marijuana Gym, Power Plant Fitness, Plans To Open In California In 2016
Author: Haven Daley
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom