Clear 15gal RDWC with fish?

5chord

I currently have plans to build a 3 or 4 plant 15gal RDWC using a clear tote for easy water level/root viewing.....Has anybody ever heard of adding fish (goldfish or other common fish that doesn't need warm water) to the container? It would be in my "Bloom Room" exclusively, so the nutes would be on the heavy side.....Would it be a mutually beneficial thing, or would it just kill the fish quickly?

They call that aquaponics. But you don't want a clear container where your roots are. The light will cause lots of algae and root rot, and your fish will get sucked into your pumps or pumps will clog pretty easy

Damn.......If I put a couple Algae Eater type fish in there, they might take care of it....Plus Also, the Hygrozyme could help

You don't want that. Aquaponics, anything has been ditched by many. The problem is that you put more work into it than you get out of it. Work is a general term for money, time and materials.
And you don't want a clear anything. Keep all light away from roots. A hatch or lift the lid to inspect.

OK, I'm nixing the idea.......The Hydro store guy was the final word.....No.......Clear......ANYTHING....Opaque it is!

Completely dark, is best. I use black buckets and lid. $11 per setup. 3 gal. Bucket with 6" net pot. 1.5 gal of fluid. $2 on airstones.
It's efficient on water and chemical maintenance yet maximum output.

That's what I thought, until my plants started tipping over. I veg to 20" plants. If your plants lean out, it's likely to happen because they are close together.

You might be the first person to do a MJ grow in aquaponics. I haven't heard of anyone doing it and it might be for good reason. Aquaponics in all forms (to me) has sort of been a gimmick to get people into hydroponics. You have to have more "faith," rather than "logic and reason."

Either way ... good luck, my friend.

Back
Top Bottom