Tomato cages?

I read somewhere one guy used a setup simliar to a grape vine setup to grow and help shape his plant to fit his grow area better. I think Chicken Wire or Tomato Fences would be a good way to control your bud, you can use ties to tie branches off to get the shape you want with bigger plants, or be able to move small branches to expose lights to the smaller buds that are shaded by other bigger buds near the top. Basically I dont see a problem with using the stuff if you have the space for it.

I used to use the large round tomato screens in the 70's to cut down on height when growing the sativas of the day. You basically weave the plant around the screen lst style.

I was averaging an 8 foot plant before I started using them. The screen let me control height through most of the veg phase,keeping the final size in a less easy to spot 4-5 feet at maturity. With creative pruning and the winding plant it brought my final bud yield up roughly 25%.

You've got to make sure you stake the cage itself down with something heavy,a good two day growth spurt in mid-veg can easily pull a cage out of the ground. The rebar method above would be good. I used discarded spike plates railroad repair crews left lying around,buried deadman style in the ground

After fooling with the manufactured ones a couple of seasons I started rolling my own from cheap fencing in a similar manner as the method posted above.

I got to the point where I moved to just staking plants down,but IMO those commercial tomato cages would work great for lst on smaller indicas/hydrids outdoors and indoors.

I've used fence before, I just wrapped it around the 100 gallon pots and set it on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom