Phototron review

toadstooldan

I got Phototron Pro unit #50 not ready for prime time. A friend was part of the company and told me about them and I was intrigued. (bad mistake on my part)

I spent $2000 and have nothing. No unit, no money. I spent 40 hours working on it often with tiny tools INSIDE a box the size of a water heater. Since I am good with software, I worked with their support for weeks on many many problems until they got tired of hearing from me.

It took weeks to get the lite to EVER COME ON, then weeks to get it to EVER GO OFF. It lost 7 minutes precisely every single day for the two months I had it. The menu documentation bore no resemblance whatsoever to what appeared onscreen. That documentation was beyond hideous. No instructions at all for putting it together.

The software was primieval. Got nothing but incoherent ASCII on the screen for literally WEEKS until i crawled inside that sucker and replaced a part they sent me. Took a couple hours of super duper cramped work where you can't see or move at all. With nuts that were so tiny you could hardly even hold them. Micro Surgery.

Support was incoherent. One support person would tell me to ignore another support person, he didn't know what he was talking about. Very untimely responses to questions. Weeks would go by literally. Once they told me I asked too many questions. Mind you, the software was one step from the grave. Which necessitated a lot of questions. I have written software since 1976 and I know bad software when I see it. Like when it doesn't work. Hit a button, nothing happens. Morning comes, the lite banks are opposite of how you had them set when you went to bed the night before. The software just does its own thing. And each time you unplug it, which is often cause it goes haywire, you have to hit like 40 buttons to get your program back, cause it has NO MEMORY once its unplugged. No battery to remember settings.

After two months of struggles, and resetting the clock up 7 minutes every day, the continued lengthening of the problem list in combination with the lask of response from support, convinced me this dog wouldn't hunt. My friend who was part of the company sent his back too, he had the exact same problems. EXACT.

So they said to ship it back and I would get a refund. I asked for shipping materials, and after a month and several phone reminders a flimsy box appeared from them. I used that box and added more protection, sent it via UPS, and then when it arrived, PHOTOTRON said it had scratches and I got NO REFUND. They were "unable to resell it" so no refund. not a dime. I explained that it was broken, and if a hair dryer was broken, and got scratched returning it, one wouldn't be denied a refund, as the device was broken, and the scratch made no difference.

They held firm, and this company stole my money and kept the device I returned.

They even kept the money for the box of food worth $100 that was returned unopened in a separate (the original) box. I am sure the light bulbs were fine (separately wrapped inside a box inside the unit), and I am sure the dad gum device worked better than it did when it arrived at my house weeks before, due to all the work I had done on it. I got no mercy. The scratches overruled all else!!!!! They kept all the dough, and successfully lied to my credit card company and I was unable to get the charge refunded.

I spent $2,000 for a not ready for prime time product, with terrible support and a horrid software system. And they got all the money and kept the product.

This is a marketing driven company. Nice logo, great mission statement. Pretty clip art on the website, fancy brochures to hand out.

But they are CLUELESS with technical stuff. I would bet that the software guys were going "wait we're not ready" and the marketing guys were like "send em out the door and software can catch up later with flashes." Guess who won.

All their emphasis is on selling more, not on getting the ones sold to work right.

This is a marketing driven company. Nice logo, great mission statement. Pretty clip art on the website, fancy brochures to hand out.

But they are CLUELESS with technical stuff. I would bet that the software guys were going "wait we're not ready" and the marketing guys were like "send em out the door and software can catch up later with flashes." Guess who won.

All their emphasis is on selling more, not on getting the ones sold to work right.

Cancel the credit card and tell them why. I guarantee you they do not want to lose a lifetime's worth of interest over one little deal. I hate companies like that and I am very cautious now after having an ordeal similar to the one you are talking about.:icon_roll

I believe your experience. Mine has been different. I have had a few flaws in my experience that were remedied by the company. The CEO even called me to answer my questions and concerns.

I don't think the EcoBrain water sensor worked correctly until it snapped/cracked a bit while I was positioning it with the Feed-a-Tron. The documentation was anemic. The packaging primitive. I had one panel that had a cracked star in the middle. It was missing the water sensor. For me, that is how this adventure began.

Since, the company has sent me an extra replacement panel, new sensor, and even some analog timers that weren't necessary.

The plants are scary dense and tall. The only setback in the grow was the nitrogen deficiency that followed the transplant shock.

I agree the product's claims are ahead of its capabilities, and that it has some growing up to do.

For me, the proof is in the puffing. Right now it looks like I will have a ton of popcorn buds and a few decent apicals. I don't know yet. It may deliver a respectable yield and good potency....or it may not. Regardless, it is still pretty, and pretty cool. It has been easy to use, if not too easy.

yeah the CEO spoke to me for awhile also, i had one nice chat early on with Craig and Amy. But now he won't give me the time of day. I simply found too many problems and they quit responding to me.

the water sensor is a JOKE. It told me i need to water 24/7. i had to turn OFF the alert because it was ALWAYS onscreen.

I just bought it to test because i thought it was interesting. and paid dearly. my normal setup is vastly superior.

Once Brian the support guy starting insulting Brandon, another support guy, I started wondering if their left hand knew what their right hand was doing... Of course Brian was excellent at insulting me, the user, also, he has absolutely ZERO people skills. Man is he in the wrong job.

Gino in support is the only one who doesn't assume the user is an idiot. But he still doesn't get the job done. He promised me a box to return the device in for a month before my repeated requests finally were answered. And I GUARANTEE if i had been returning the device for repair instead of return, they would have sent me better packaging to return it in.

I sent them this recently, and of course have not heard a word back...

================
Dear Phototron Folks:

So the entire unit was unsalvageable? The lights were surely fine.

I get NO credit for anything that was returned????

the plant food that was in a separate box?????

Did you threw the whole thing away, lights, separate box with food and all? It was all totally useless? I never opened the food. Returned it in the same box it arrived in.

Surely you can carve out some credit for some of the materials that were returned. I bet the lights are expensive. Are you telling me they were also broken? I see nothing in your notes about them being damaged. They were in a separate padded box well protected inside the unit.

Work with me here please. It is not fair that I get absolute zero $ for return credit.

Marty Casado Unit #50

i bought the domains phototronreviews.com and phototronsucks.com, and will put a review on them in the next day or so. If you have a review to add, send it to me by PM and i will add it.

I am very experienced at both gardening and computers. I have been a computer programmer since 1973, and grow 30 kinds of roses, 20+ kinds of ferns, 40 foot tall banana plants (in the pacific northwest), and my yard looks like a park. I know this material, and I know not ready for prime time when i see it.

I had the same problem with the water sensor until I inadvertently cracked/broke the unit, pushing down hard on it to make sure it was seated at the bottom. Maybe you can get your old unit back with the software upgrade and have another go?

Or is there nothing left but animus?

well since i paid for it, i'd like to have it back scratch and all. but they simply will not respond to me whatsoever. also we did a software upgrade along the way. still left a whole lot of issues.

just losing 7 minutes a day is insane on a time-critical piece of machinery.

well since i paid for it, i'd like to have it back scratch and all. but they simply will not respond to me whatsoever. also we did a software upgrade along the way. still left a whole lot of issues.

just losing 7 minutes a day is insane on a time-critical piece of machinery.

You can try to enlist the Better Business Bureau. You can also send out letters to sites that use them as a sponsor and let them know that you have been robbed. Try to find any forums that are related to Phototron and tell your story. When will businesses learn that a dissatisfied customer that is vocal about their dissatisfaction, can destroy the business? I hope you get it rectified but I don't think it's going to be easy.:rollit:

Wow , I had a phototron about 30 yrs ago,and it sucked then, and i can see they still do, 2000 bucks and they did you like that, call the BBB, and keep posting ur threads about their crappy machine. good luck bro:thumb:

Unfortunate that you have to experience something like this from a company. I'm sure those who looking into getting one will think twice after this review. Even if you did not get any kind of refund, call your credit card company and file a charge back and explain to them what happen, and they will credit you and go after the light company who ripped you off. Returned item and no refund? That's theft. Companies should stand by their products and warranty, without it is just bad business.

the credit card company (bank of america) will not help me. their claim department is toothless. they take the companies word 100% in the end. the charge was refunded to me for two months, then in early december it suddenly appeared on my credit card bill again without warning. They went thru their "system" and pretty much said whatever the vendor says we go by. Unless the vendor files NO response they take the vendors word.

so basically one has NO coverage with bank of america on getting bad products refunded. As long as the vendor says we want the guy to pay then bank of america makes you pay. I have ceased using that card as why use a card that gives you NO recourse when you are ripped off?

My friend who used to be part of the company and returned two units as crappy bought his with american express, and successfully got the charges refunded to him.

I am amazed they won't even give me a lousy DIME, nor the product back. It is theft.

Oh and by the way, phototron advertises a one year warranty. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. They quit answering my questions after three weeks of finding mass software problems.

I asked em like a dozen times over a two week period if my unit was the only one that lost 7 minutes a day, or if their units did it also. In other words, is it a software or a hardware problem? Never did get that answered....

Below is an email i sent to them when they first told me i got no money back....

============

You guys are unbelievably full of %^&*(.

You sent me NOTHING to protect the inside of the unit, now you whine about it being damaged?

You sent only cardboard for the outside. When i received what you sent me to protect it, i just thought "good luck with this".

I expected an upright box with the padding etc that came with it.

Compare what you sent me to return it with what it comes with in the beginning. It was impossible to return it in perfect condition with what you sent me.

I had to put something in the inside to protect it myself. And I put a bunch of foam, newspaper, etc. in there and did the best i could with such a huge thing to ship. It arrived in a hell of a lot better shape that it would have if I had only used what you sent me to return it!!!!

If you were so concerned about the device arriving back pristine you should have sent me covers for the side panels. and some foam. etc. etc. You should have sent the packing materials that came with it in the beginning. I have to wonder if you sent super minimal packaging for the return just so the device would never make it back in one piece so you could steal my money.

How much does it cost you to replace a few side panels ? apparently the entire $2000.

you guys have turned out to be so incredibly shady that I wouldn't put it past you to have scratched it up after arrival. I note that when i tried to get UPS to cover the "damage", UPS had to come by like ten times before you finally put it out for them to look at. They were calling me to find out what was up, and said you guys were pretty nuts for repeatedly telling them to come look at it and never having it ready. I just told em you all were super flaky, and they said something to the effect of "no kidding."

What a crooked bunch you are. after all this hassle you try to steal ALL $2000 from me..

head shaking. we'll see about this.

I was prepared to try the product again in a year. but now I shall make a pass around all the lighting stores in town and alert them to your super flaky enterprise.

And oh by the way, i spent nearly $300 in postage to return it. And it took 3 hours to package it and a half hour to get it to the shipper.

and I note there were three packages not one. I assume you have returned my money already fot the other two packages? Or are you stealing that money too?

ALSO: you can replace this device for far less than $2000. You can replace it at the wholesale cost. Or do you insinuate you have to go out and buy one from yourself at full price to replace it?

This is by far not the end of this matter. You shall not steal my $2000 and walk away free.

What a screwed up bunch you are. I am awfully glad I don't work for you guys. Your system sucks, your PR sucks, your directions suck, your support is idiotic on a good day and non existent on the other days.

You assured Richard and I in the beginning I could get my nearly $300 postage, but you provide absolute minimal return packaging, leaving out all the foam etc,. that keep it safe, and forcing me to rig up something to do the job, then you whine when it gets slightly damaged, then you basically pull out a gun and rob me.

There is no way to jump the hurdles you continually produce. I have worked with you and worked with you and your attitude and the results i get from you get worse, and worse, and worse. I have spent TONS of my own labor working with you to get this thing to even run. Remember, it took two weeks to get it to go on, then two weeks to get it to ever go off, as your support wouldn't answer any calls.

You return my money or i will become a nightmare for you. You are robbing the wrong victim. I will fight back.

Sent this message just prior to the above, to my friend who was part of the company and bought two units (both to be returned later). I could use him to prod them along occasionally cause he knew all the folks at Phototron, and I was having trouble getting Phototron to respond to my request to return the product.

===================
Hi XXX,
I would like to start the refund process. I have been asking for
over a week about the clock losing time every day. i cannot get an answer. I emailed both Gino and Brian a week ago and have heard NOTHING.

Between not ready for prime time software and absolutely HORRID support, I
am done with this experiment. The support is truly ghastly. I might as well
be putting a note in a bottle and throwing it into the ocean.

It has no reflection on you and our friendship. But I am tired of changing
the clock every single day. And thats just the latest adventure. If I could
have gotten timely support, maybe at least i would have felt better about
all this. But I spent $2000 and cannot even get a timely note back
when I have questions. Beyond Absurd. I feel like a totally disrespected
beta tester. I find problems and cannot even get a response because they are
tired of me finding problems and flat out tired of talking to me. They won't
answer, and I cannot accept that I have been a huge pain in the ass, I can
however accept that this light is a big pain in the ass. I have put many
many many hours in basically testing this thing, and to not even get a
response due to "too many questions" or whatever is ridiculous.

Thanks for your help in all this.

I started to get a Phototron, boy am I glad I didn't. This thread saved me a couple of grand and it probably added a year to my life by not having my blood boil with anger lol.

I really appreciate your review on phototron and pointing out the problems associated with it & its company.

I had been thinking a lot on getting one for years & even placed an international long distance calls to a number I got from a mag that advertised the product. I guess I was lucky I did not buy the product especially that I live in the middle east.

Thank you & wish you all the luck & keep up the fight.

Yesterday a friend of mine gave me his older model so I've been researching this beast. Haven't set it up yet - it needs some parts and new bulbs. In spite of the bad news on this thread I'm gonna fix it up and try it. We'll see...

Sorry to read your sad story, Dan. It certainly confirms the general wisdom about this machine and it's support team.

Aside from the minor challenges, I really like mine. I'll do a bud and "smoke" report when I harvest in a month.
DSCF83701.JPG

Back
Top Bottom