Watering in air pruning pots

static123

Hi

I am growing in some 10L air pruning pots, this is my first time with these pots and I have noticed that when watering I am getting 50% run off, is it normal for water to come out the holes around the side, not all of them but quite a few. I did expect this to happen obviously as their a completely different idea but just wanted to check, i was thinking I haven't packed it down enough ? hope not as it would be to late to do anything now.
This was my second water and first was the same 50% run off. The soil is Canna Terra Professional Plus.

Many thanks.

When watering soil, I like to use a small spray bottle to wet the surface of the soil. This is a bit more than just misting, I like to wet the surface. I let this sit for about 5 minutes. Then I use about 1/4 of the water I intend to use in circle about 4" across, right around the base of the plant. Wetting the surface with the mister helps encourage the water to stay where it is poured and, hopefully, encourage it to drop straight down. When you start adding this water, you will want to go slowly. You want to avoid the water rolling across the surface. It may take a few minutes to finish around the base. I then let this sit about 5 minutes. I then use the remaining 3/4 of the water (1/4 at a time) in ever increasing circles. Each circle begins where the last ended. So if the first circle is 4" across, the second my be 5 or 6" across. Try to keep overlapping of the circles to a minimum. Let stand for 5 minutes. Begin the next circle and so on until done.
I also alternate the area that receives the most water. You will get the hang of it as you go.
If you pour water in quickly, it will create little "rivers" or channels below the surface and will all run to a few spots. Wet soil will, though capillary action, draw water inward.

Let me know if this helps.

no its not normal :) if the water keeps running out through the holes it means that the soil is totaly dried up and water can not penetrate through it due to surface tension..

you can try by making a small cup in the middle of the pot and water it slowly... you will find a balance... i can pour over 1 liter of water into my 6l pots before they start to run off. so yes they can take alot of water... but they dry very fast... about twice as fast than regular pots.

hope this helps... as away for details

Right ok, so I gave them 4Ltrs each and had 2Ltr run of, should I go back and give them some more ? Thanks for the help guys

Right ok, so I gave them 4Ltrs each and had 2Ltr run of, should I go back and give them some more ? Thanks for the help guys

Sweet Maria! 4 liters? How big are they? I usually do about 1.5-1.75ltr every other day. This usually ends up being every 36 hours during the stretch.

Edit: Let me qualify this. I use small amounts for small plant and larger amounts as they need it. I use FFOF and have it pretty well worked out how much to give and when. My first watering on new seedlings is usually less than 4 ounces. I try to keep the schedule to every 2 days. The amount changes depending on the size of the plant. And no run off.

When I have grown before I have always used standard pots, I was advised to fill the pots until you get run off at the bottom and get used to the weight of them full. I also stick my finger in and see how damp it is. If the pots feel light and the soil is dry a inch or so then it's time to water, this method worked out well the last time, I am by no means a pro at growing infact this will be my second indoor grow so I am still finding my way and this place is a life line.

When I have grown before I have always used standard pots, I was advised to fill the pots until you get run off at the bottom and get used to the weight of them full. I also stick my finger in and see how damp it is. If the pots feel light and the soil is dry a inch or so then it's time to water, this method worked out well the last time, I am by no means a pro at growing infact this will be my second indoor grow so I am still finding my way and this place is a life line.

I hear ya. This is the same method I used when I started. Everyone ends up with their own style and if it works that is all that matters. :)

Back
Top Bottom