Thread: How to make my new stash jars airtight?

How to make my new stash jars airtight?

So, I picked up the world's sweetest stash jars today. See [film canister provided for scale ]:

The lids, however:

Are clearly not airtight. What's the best way to go about remedying this? I was thinking I could try wrapping the edges of the lids with electrical tape, but there has to be a better way. Any ideas? My google-fu is failing me miserably!

420 Member of the Month (Oct 10') TorturedSoul's Avatar
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
    Blog Entries

Re: how to make my new stash jars airtight?

For long-term stash storage, you could hold the jar sideways and pour sealing wax on at at the junction where the lid meets the jar. Might be a little messy the first few times you try it though.
    Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil
    "At the end of the season of sorrows comes the time of rejoicing. Spring, like a well-oiled clock, noiselessly indicates this time." -Roger Zelazny

HELP by visiting our sponsors
    PARTICIPATE by reading, learning, & teaching in our forums
    DECIDE by voting in our contests

Quote Originally Posted by TorturedSoul View Post
    For long-term stash storage, you could hold the jar sideways and pour sealing wax on at at the junction where the lid meets the jar. Might be a little messy the first few times you try it though.
    That's a thought. I was hoping to use them for curing purposes, though! There's gotta be something I can stick on these suckers that'll keep them nice and tight but that I can also open and close with relative ease, right? What am I not thinking of? Argh!

try an o-ring ... or maybe get a gasket kit and cut ur own ... perhaps a bead of clear silicone ... but if all else fails theres always duct-tape (just kidden)

420 Member of the Month (Oct 10') TorturedSoul's Avatar
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
    Blog Entries

None of my curing jars were ever pretty. I valued form over function. And since they spent 99.9% of the time in a dark cabinet anyway...

I kept the nice-looking stuff for storing my "in use" med supply.
    Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil
    "At the end of the season of sorrows comes the time of rejoicing. Spring, like a well-oiled clock, noiselessly indicates this time." -Roger Zelazny

HELP by visiting our sponsors
    PARTICIPATE by reading, learning, & teaching in our forums
    DECIDE by voting in our contests

Quote Originally Posted by Weedpipe View Post
    try an o-ring ... or maybe get a gasket kit and cut ur own ... perhaps a bead of clear silicone ... but if all else fails theres always duct-tape (just kidden)
    Didn't even think about an o-ring! Ooh maybe I could try weather stripping. Thanks for the suggestions!

Might try the old fashioned mason jars, the kind with the rubber seal and metal latch. kitchen supply stores or Big Lots might have them.

I would look for a big cork that would fit, and then trim it to fit inside the lid. Once your happy with the fit, you could hot glue it to the inside.

This technique has been around for a long time. It is used in the wine industry.
    Could it be the DEA is losing their war because its beliefs are not in line with the writings in the bible? The victims of this war have sacrifaced their life(jail), just as Jesus did 2008+ years ago. It may take another 100 years for historians to conclude, that these people are actually angels sent from god to continue Jesus's work on earth. :offtopic:

OK my mistake, they aren't mason jars. The jars are made in Fidenza Italy, and there are some on eBay. I use them to store flour, sugar. pasta and rice, so they are airtight. I think I need another one to store my buds. Check eBay - search for Vintage Fidenza - Canning Jar. I'll bet one of these will fit your needs.

420 Member

if you're worried about odor from the pot or to keep it fresh, try putting it in a broiler/oven bag first... just tie it up in there and all the odor will be gone.. plus everything will stay nice and fresh... i usually use two bags... i guess u could use the broiler bag n throw it in the jar