Distance for LEDs

Roughly the same, maybe even a little higher. Remember tho, the reflector series is 3 watt diodes and should be used with a screen or LST/super cropping to keep the canopy close to the same height. If you go below 12" then you're not going to get a good mixture of the spectra. That's when you will start seeing bleaching.

More important than the height, is the coverage of the plant. If you have to move it to 16" or even 20" to get a nice even coverage of your plant, then that is what should be done. The easiest way to tell is if you see deep colored spots from the light on your leaves. You want a smooth blend of the color.

That is correct. If you look at the dispersion pattern of most LEDs it's called the Lambertain pattern. That means the distribution is more of a bell curve than a spreading. 70-80% of all the light will be projected in the first 30 degrees of the half angle or in a 60 degree pattern. The other 60 degrees you receive a much lower photon density. This varies greatly from one diode type and manufacturer to another, but the concept is the same across all of them.

Cool! I'm going to see if I can notice when the canopy has grown too close to the LEDs by the distribution of light across the surface of the canopy. IMHO, it would be a much better indicator of when the LEDs need to be raised than my current method of inspecting the growth and overall health of canopy leaves.

That is correct. If you look at the dispersion pattern of most LEDs it's called the Lambertain pattern. That means the distribution is more of a bell curve than a spreading. 70-80% of all the light will be projected in the first 30 degrees of the half angle or in a 60 degree pattern. The other 60 degrees you receive a much lower photon density. This varies greatly from one diode type and manufacturer to another, but the concept is the same across all of them.

How far away for veg stage. 2 300w led galaxy hydro. NYCd auto fem & early miss auto fem. most are 5-7" tall. A couple of them are 8-11.5" tall. No lst. They have been topped. Only a 5' tall tent. Ffof/perlite. 70/30. 20/4 schedule. Thanks all.

I do 18-24" in veg. Plants haven't built up protection that they will have in flower. Other consideration that hosebomber pointed out is light distribution. I use to let my plants grow 12" from light without light burn. Realized that light spectrum was uneven on canopy so I raised to 18" for both flower and veg.

Back
Top Bottom