HPS Socket Melted/Bulb burn out

xtrchessreal

I was just curious if anyone had an issue similar to this. My 1000W HPS bulb burned out while arcing and melting the bottom of the bulb seal and melted the socket insert of the 5kV 600VAC 2000W pulse rated E 39 ceramic lamp holder as it was hanging horizontal. Luckily it burned to an open circuit and stopped the current at that point. The ceramic also cracked at multiple places, when I took it apart a couple pieces fell off and the HOT lead was burned open and completely disconnected from the socket. You can see inside the bulb through two completely opened holes at the male end of the bulb
:cough:

I've already ordered two new E39 sockets and I was at the last week of bloom so no big deal on the grow. This strain starts to turn yellow at 4 weeks, very fast.

To me it is clear the bulb went into catastrophic failure, end of life I guess. But is this what is supposed to happen at end of life of 1000w HPS? I estimate near 5000 hours a bit over a year at 12/12 of actual life this bulb got though it was rated at 20,000 I think. Not a digital ballast either FYI.

Any similar experiences from HPS users would be nice to hear thanks:love:

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom