State Rep Says If Bill Fails, He May Smuggle Cannabis Oil Himself

Jacob Redmond

Last year, Chey Wilson sent his wife and 8-year-old daughter Ava to Colorado so she could get legal medical marijuana treatments for her epileptic seizures.

But with the introduction of a new medical marijuana bill — backed by powerful co-sponsors and a majority of the Georgia House, Wilson says he believes his family's separation can end soon.

"This is the only thing that has given her seizure-free days," he said.

Although the new bill would remove some legal hurdles, some would remain. At the insistence of Gov. Nathan Deal, the bill would not allow in-state production of cannabis oil. Transport of cannabis oil across state lines is still a violation of federal law.

The bill sponsor, Rep. Allen Peake (R-Macon), says he's in talks with a cannabis oil maker to ship it directly to Georgia. If that fails, Peake says he may smuggle it himself.

"But maybe it's time for somebody like me to risk being arrested to bring this product back for these families in order to show the lunacy of a federal law that says I can be in possession of a legal product in Colorado, and I can be in possession of a legal product in Georgia but I'm gonna get arrested because I'm driving through Kansas," Peake said.

Cannabis-Meidcal-Oil.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: State rep says if bill fails, he may smuggle cannabis oil himself
Author: Doug Richards
Photo Credit: None Found
Website: Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, Sports and Entertainment | Atlanta, GA | 11Alive.com WXIA TV

Back
Top Bottom