Is California Ready For The Total Legalization Of Marijuana?

Jacob Redmond

A blue ribbon commission, consisting of doctors, legal scholars, law enforcement professionals, tax experts and others, and led by Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom, has released an initial progress report for broad recommendations on marijuana policy in California.

The aim of their 18 month research was to provide a comprehensive view of strategies, policy goals, and policy options available to Californians as they consider the legalization and taxation of marijuana policy.

Public support of legalizing marijuana is high, with 55% of likely voters favoring legalization, according to the Public Policy Institute of California's poll. Protecting children and youth, ensuring public safety, and establishing tax and regulation schemes are key issues for the commission.

One tough question to tackle is what should be the tax rate for cannabis? If it's set too high, the illicit market is incentivized to sell low and therefore, profit. If the tax rate is too low, more children and youth will have easier access to it.

The conclusions of this panel will likely influence November 2016 ballot proposals that would legalize marijuana use for adults 21 and older.

If you had to vote now, would you vote to legalize marijuana use for adults? What are your biggest concerns about legalizing marijuana? What tax rate might you support?

14879.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: AirTalk | Is California ready for the total legalization of marijuana? | 89.3 KPCC
Author: Larry Mantle
Photo Credit: Flickr - Oswaldo

A blue ribbon commission, consisting of doctors, legal scholars, law enforcement professionals, tax experts and others, and led by Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom, has released an initial progress report for broad recommendations on marijuana policy in California.

The aim of their 18 month research was to provide a comprehensive view of strategies, policy goals, and policy options available to Californians as they consider the legalization and taxation of marijuana policy.

Public support of legalizing marijuana is high, with 55% of likely voters favoring legalization, according to the Public Policy Institute of California's poll. Protecting children and youth, ensuring public safety, and establishing tax and regulation schemes are key issues for the commission.

One tough question to tackle is what should be the tax rate for cannabis? If it's set too high, the illicit market is incentivized to sell low and therefore, profit. If the tax rate is too low, more children and youth will have easier access to it.

The conclusions of this panel will likely influence November 2016 ballot proposals that would legalize marijuana use for adults 21 and older.

If you had to vote now, would you vote to legalize marijuana use for adults? What are your biggest concerns about legalizing marijuana? What tax rate might you support?

14879.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: AirTalk | Is California ready for the total legalization of marijuana? | 89.3 KPCC
Author: Larry Mantle
Photo Credit: Flickr - Oswaldo

What I want is for Cali to stop trying to set limits on my freedom. I don`t want any new taxes, let alone one for something I already have. Why is it necessary to Tax, Regulate and Control what I do? I`ve been consuming cannabis for well over 50 years and I`m not about to be Taxed, Controlled or Regulated now. It didn`t work to try to control me when I was threatened with jail time, what makes you think any of these new laws will change that? Not going to do anything because I`m told to , never have before and never will. Your just going to have to keep treating me as an outlaw unless you can get over trying to control people and make money off of everything. Instead try doing an honest days work if you think the state needs more taxes, then donate your money to the state ! Since when does the needs of the state supersede the needs of the people? Think the only way cannabis can become legal is if it`s Taxed, Controlled and Regulated? Think again! I for one will always vote against these measures and await true freedom. I`ll vote for CCHI , the only legalization worth considering!

I cant say I support "American Revolution, Taxation with Representation" stuff, but I would be for 21+ and anyone who is seriously ill or can benefit from it with a real doctors recommendation. Before I draw flack from this community and the people who need to relax and realize its a slow process and for what it is its fairly easy to get the medication needed in states its legal. Its not much longer before it becomes re scheduled, and readily available. As far as taxes I was never under the assumption it was being legalized for any other reason other than to be taxed. I try to believe it puts a slight dent in drug operations between us and Mexico taking a little bit of power away from those like El Chapo. What a joke.

The UK and Australia might be going the way of legal cannabis soon, this will open up opportunities. I don't think the US will be shown up in that regard, especially if our major allies are doing it. When it comes to the percentage I cant comment on that as I do not purchase cannabis thus I cannot be charged.

As far as my concerns, some people cant handle any form of drugs, and while the vast majority of us can sit around and relax or get stuff done under the influence. The truth is some people flip out, and panic can turn to violence. There is already enough BS in the news about children being under the influence of cannabis and being handled by police. While this is just a tactic to draw attention to the fact that they smoked some time in the last 30 days... and not that they were high at that exact moment. Its still to much press. In time I'm sure we will trade it on the Transatlantic, and more medical benefits will be achieved.

While I love this site, and its community the fight for cannabis is the last on my top #100 global list of things that need to be fought for. #1 being terrorism. #2 Better Background Checks for firearms, #3 equality for sexes and those who feel oppressed. I could go on but you get the idea. Happy growing and God Bless.

sales tax is about 10% depending on what city or county. I think they already charge sales tax in Oakland for medical. to me industrial hemp should be legalized if they want to legalize cannabis even though it would be tough on everybody with all the pollen, not everyone uses cannabis but everyone could use hemp products. if they can allow cotton to be grown in cali why not hemp?

Back
Top Bottom