New Poll Shows Floridians Support Medical Marijuana Initiative

Jacob Redmond

For those following the travails of the possibility of medical marijuana being legalized in Florida, it may appear like deja vu all over again.

A Quinnipiac poll released Thursday morning shows overwhelming support for the issue, leading by a 87-12 percent margin. The issue could come before voters in 2016.

However, at a similar juncture two years ago, Quinnipiac showed the medical marijuana constitutional amendment proposal getting equally stratospheric ratings, only to end up losing at the ballot box.

The high-water mark in any poll for what was listed as amendment Two on the 2014 ballot in Florida was a Quinnipiac poll that was released on November 21, 2013, that showed the measure getting 82 percent support.

It ended up getting nearly 58 percent in November of 2014, more than two percentage points shy of the 60 percent required for passage.

"The strong support among Floridians for legalizing medical marijuana may not be enough," said Quinnipiac pollster Peter Brown. "In 2014, voters expressed overwhelming support for legalization, but at the ballot box they failed to meet the 60 percent threshold required by the State Constitution."

Although not as well known, there is a separate move to get a constitutional amendment on the 2016 ballot in Florida to legalize marijuana outright for everyone, not just those who suffer from a malady.

When Quinnipiac asked Florida voters about that proposal, 51 percent said they supported the idea, while 45 percent opposed it. Men support it by 57-41 percent, with women narrowly opposing it 49-46 percent.

However, as noted above, the measure would need to get 60 percent to win approval.

Both measures need to get over 683,000 certified signatures accepted by the Florida Secretary of State's office by February 1 to qualify for the November 2016 ballot.

Quinnipiac surveyed 1,173 voters between Sept. 25- Oct. 5, with a margin of error of +/- 2.9 percentage points.

15083.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: New Poll Shows Floridians Support Medical Marijuana Initiative
Author: Mitch Perry
Photo Credit: None Found

It is my hope that Floriduh actually passes both amendments but I really want the legalization amendment above all else. The MMJ amendment is highly restrictive and would cost us a great deal at dispensaries and limit access to a few strains. There will be many more people at the polls in 2016 so we will see. I am trying to push as many people as I can to get out the vote.

Back
Top Bottom