Ohio: Medical Marijuana Advocacy Group Not Happy With House Bill

Robert Celt

For the first time ever in the state of Ohio, the push to legalize medical marijuana passes a house committee, and unanimously.

It's been a fight at the statehouse for more than a decade, but some medical marijuana advocates are expressing disappointment with the bill.

The organization Ohioans for Medical Marijuana are calling the bill a narrow and restrictive substitute.

They say it would significantly restrict patient access.

"I had an aunt that was very close to me, she was dying of cancer," Aaron Marshall said.

Marshall says as his aunt sat in hospice care, it was her doctor who told her about medical marijuana.

"Her doctor said, you know, if you were in a state that allowed medical marijuana, I would recommend it to you right now," Marshall said.

But instead, Marshall said she had no choice but to rely on painkillers.

"And so, you know, myself and others in my family had to watch her suffer," Marshall said.

Marshall is now the spokesman for Ohioans for Medical Marijuana, an organization also pushing a separate ballot initiative.

Thursday, the Ohio General Assembly moved forward with medical marijuana legislation. The move is a first for any marijuana related bills at the statehouse.

"It's never gotten, really to even hearings. Every bill is guaranteed one hearing, but we've never gotten passed that," State Representative Dan Ramos said.

Ramos says they've already heard over 30 hours of testimony on the issue so far, and admits, there's going to be quite a bit of regulation if passed.

"We're trying to get the framework set up first for dispensers, cultivators, producers, and laboratories," Rep. Ramos said.

But, Marshall says right now, the way the legislation reads, there would be far too many restrictions and regulatory red tape on doctors.

"We really question how many doctors are going to be willing to participate," Marshall said.

The other big issue Marshall has with the bill - the house legislation would take up to two years to be implemented.

"This has been an issue at the state house for more than a decade," Marshall said. "We don't think they should have to wait two more years."

Overall, Thursday's medical marijuana passage was a step forward, but Ohioans for Medical Marijuana are worried it's a step forward that will set the system up for failure.

"We just feel like there's a lot of paper work, there's a lot of requirements that are in this bill," Marshall said. "We think that doctors may just take a pass on it."

House Bill 523 now goes to the full house for a vote.

Bottle_of_Bud1.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Ohio: Medical Marijuana Advocacy Group Not Happy With House Bill
Author: Evan Anderson
Photo Credit: Chris Hondros

Back
Top Bottom