Why I support medicating

pvalderas

My personal experiences with medical marijuana changed my perception and went against everything I was led to believe. Growing up I was told nothing positive results from using Marijuana; however, seeing how much my eight year old cousin with epilepsy benefited from marijuana based treatments and being prescribed marijuana myself as an alternative to pharmaceutical drugs changed my awareness, so I conducted my own research.
I was skeptical when my uncle in California informed me that he was going to take the advice of his peers and try out Cannabidiol medications, which are marijuana based medications that do not contain THC–the active ingredient in marijuana that provides the "stoned" feeling. After seeing my cousin Jacob change into a playful joyous child again because his seizures were more under control, I decided to look into marijuana as an alternative to treating my anxiety with pharmaceutical drugs while I was living in California for two years after High School. I found marijuana and marijuana based medications more beneficial and I was in higher spirits compared to when I was prescribed Xanex and Prozac while I lived in Texas.
Before I started using marijuana I decided to research further to find any negative side effects of using marijuana but to my surprise there weren't any except the punishments in states where it's not decriminalized. I was shocked to find out how much we were taught about marijuana is untrue and I concluded that the technology used to test the results of marijuana when it was first outlawed was not advanced as it is today so most perceptions are out of date. Every negative opinion can be disproven today and medical benefits are being discovered daily, so why is it still illegal for medical purposes?
Moving back to Texas to attend college allowed me to see how outrageous it is to deny patients access to medical marijuana even if we prefer it over the pharmaceutical medications that make us even more sick. I do not use marijuana back home in Texas in fear of putting my academic future in jeopardy by being caught with marijuana and I shouldn't have to do that. Medications are being prescribed daily that have been linked to suicide and I can't be prescribed a plant that makes me happier? That idea is sickening to me. I support marijuana because people actually use it for its medical purposes. The possibility of getting put in jail for using Marijuana is so idiotic and individuals should not let their presumptions get in the way of patients receiving the medication they desire because medical marijuana has a place in responsible treatment plans.

Hi pvalderas!

Welcome 420 Magazine. :welcome:

Happy to hear your testimony and to know there is another advocate out there for the plant we all love. I'm glad to hear your cousin has had such a positive result from his medication and I hope you find solace for your anxiety. I understand and respect your stance on use in a non legal state and the possible consequence to your future and hope only that you find an alternative until the ridiculous laws around the legality of cannabis are changed. There's a long way to go still, but it's not as far away as it once was!

Be well and again welcome to the community of members.

Thank you, this was an assignment for my advanced expository writing class. I had fun writing this and i am glad i can share my writing with a group of people that will enjoy this.

Back
Top Bottom