Forgive an old man his lack of tech skills lol

Blastum

Question "Capn Style" Hydro- Blastum's 1st Journal- Sweet Skunk and Jack Herrer HELP PLEASE :)
The veg closet...

Hello 420mag...
1st off, yes, I'm a COMPLETE N00B to growing :(
Really nice community y'all have going here, long time lurker, first time poster, but sure seem like my kinda people
I will attempt to follow these guidelines to the best of my ability and be as thorough as possible in the hopes of scoring some wisdom from all you Jedis out there!
I'm sure I left em in the rapid rooter plugs too long and then I went from CFL directly to 400W MH. The skunk looked a bit pekish after day 10 in the rooter tray, but bucked up when I got the veg closet going. Now the skunk leaves a drooping, not sure if it's overwatering (thought that was hard to do w/rockwool? and I started 2x/day for 15 min each flood. Just switched to 1/day 15 min 2 days ago, hoping that helps. Could be the light was too much too soon? I dunno..that's why I'm here
Really hope I'm doing this properly, if I need to fix pics, or take better ones etc, please say so, forgive an old man his lack of tech skills in advance lol
the skunk I'm worried about, the spot is a drop of RECHARGE i spilled on it...

the Jack herrer that I THINK is doing ok, but really need validation (2 images, different angles)...

What strain is it?
1xNirvana sweet skunk (not feminized) and 1x Bagseed from a unit of Jack Herrer (found about 1 seed per zip in that unit and if that means I'm messing up from the 'git go, by working w/inferior genetics somehow please someone, tell me now. I just received some blackberry kush and ak48 seeds from nirvana as well, so I'm wondering if I should be running those at the same time?

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
From what I understand, They are both sat heavy strains. I do NOT know the percentages, sorry.

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
Very early Veg stage

If in Veg... For how long?
Well, first reason I'm posting...kinda need help to even find out if I truly even STARTED these correctly. I swore to myself I would stick w/"Capn" style grow, but his info is light on the germ/seedling stages.

If in Flower stage... For how long?
Lol..again, don't laugh, but, I used rapid rooter plugs, left them 18/6 w/daylight CFL in a dome, misted 2x/day. BUT, I had started them too early and I underestimated the time it would take to build out my room. SO, they were in that situation for about 2 weeks before I moved them to 1/4in rockwool cubes in a 6 inch square nursery pot. The looked pretty peekish by th eitme O got em into the veg room :( They have been in rockwool for 8 days now and are about 5" each, with what I THINK are only 2 sets of leaves

Indoor or outdoor?
Indoor

Soil or Hydro?
Hydro

Size of light?
Dimmable ballast, currently at 400 (up to 600)

Is it aircooled?
Yes. Cooltube with flexi duct and cyclone fan venting out window (kind of proud of my stealth vent...unfortunately, I am NOT what you would call a "handy guy" so this was a small victory for me lol)

Temp of Room/cab?
77f

RH of Room/cab?
52%

PH of media or res?
5.5-5.8

Any Pests ?
No

How often are you watering?
Switched from 2x/day at 15 min to 1/day at 15 min (I think I was over watering, hope someone can tell me when I post pics)

Type and strength of ferts used?
GH flora, bloom and grow, all at 2.5ml/gallon (12 gallon rez 1/2 full)
Also, just used RECHARGE for first time yesterday
ppms read 360..is that good or bad at this early stage? Mixed opinions it seems...

I'm sure I left them in the plugs, under the dome for a little too long, and then I'm not sure if I was supposed to put em under the 400 hd that soon...again, some mixed opinions out there

The ONLY way to receive optimal attention, feedback and support is to provide photos!
I will

Thanks for your support and we look forward to watching your beautiful ladies grow...

Love and Respect.
Back at ya buddy

grrr,
why didn't the pics show up? They worked in
20151007_043555.jpg
20151007_043422.jpg
20151007_043415.jpg
20151007_043409.jpg
20151007_043352.jpg
20151007_043303.jpg
in the "journal" section...

ahhh,
there they are...
really just want someone ta give these pics the once-over and let me know why the leaves on the sweet skunk are droopy...
thnaks again everyone :)
~Blastum

Good morning Blastum and welcome to :420:

Although your skunk does look a little droopy, the girls look good :)

The only obvious issue I can see is your RH could stand to be higher, 52 is great for flowering but during veg it is better to have it up around 70. I grow in soil so can't comment on your feeding/watering, I don't know enough about it.

As for your drooping skunk, it may be due to the low RH or it may have yet to adjust to the more intense light. I would suggest trying to raise your RH first and see if she perks up :)

TC,
THANK YOU very much :)
1st off...am I in the correct forum for these kinds of questions? I started a journal and I very much am looking forward to keeping it updated and receiving all the wisdom I see shared around here :)
That being said,
Thought I had a handle on the idea of how to work the RH levels, but I see all kinds of various opinions so I figured, ask for help...so glad I did :)
I THINK I found the basic rule of thumb "start @ 70% and work down to 40% over life of the plant", but I'm not sure how to schedule that. Could you please tell me if this is correct, and if it is, maybe give me a rough time frame to work off of? Since I thought I kinda fudged the start, exactly where on that decreasing % should I be at this stage? ummm what IS this stage officially called, for future notice, just so I can at least have a baseline for time frame to go off of? early veg or still seedling?
So do I simply buy a small humidifier?
I know I'm asking a lot really quickly, but I am grateful that you didn't have to tell me "yer screwed buddy!" lmao
thanks a TON...really is appreciated, hope I didn't bend your ear too hard.I'm just excited lol.
Apologies for any redundancy or spelling hehe
U R KING! :thanks:
~Blastum

No worries Blastum :)

This has been my morning ritual for months now LOL Coffee, few hits off my pipe if my arm or neck is bothering me, and reading threads helping where I am able :)

The seedling stage is considered up to the point where you see your first true leaves, the 3 bladed ones. Then you are in the vegetation stage until you switch your light schedule to 12/12 for flowering. This stage can last indefinitely but most run their plants in veg for 6-12 weeks depending on grow style, available space and training techniques. Space is usually the biggest factor as the longer you veg, the bigger the plant and after you flip it to 12/12 for flowering, they will often double in height or more.

During this veg period, you want to keep your RH around 70 and temps in the 75-85*F range. If your temps are good and RH is a problem, you can use a small cool mist humidifier to raise the RH.

After you flip into 12/12, you have another 7-10 weeks of flowering for Indicas and even longer for Sativas. An RH of 70 is ok during the first 2-3 weeks of flowering, but after that is when you want to lower RH. Lower RH in late flowering helps prevent bud rot/mold issues and drier air and warmer temps will also drive up resin production (potency) Try to keep your RH below 50% during the last 1/2 of flowering and if you have a strain that changes colors, you can drop temps 10-15 degrees in the last 2 weeks to bring out the colors :)

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

Ahhh...
That first morning roast, huh? :)
You ROCK for the help man, Looks like I'm going to be making this part of my am schedule as well. Hope ta see you around plenty! (a man never forgets his 1st mentor hahahahah)
I hadn't seen that you posted back so quickly so I made another post about which humidifier to buy, but K.I.S.S. is looking like the way to go ;)
Was thinking about picking up something w/large capacity tank so I don't have to refill as often, and an auto on/off would be great...even better if it had it's own meter. But I think I'm gonna run to home depot today and see how far a cheapie gets me.
Thanks again, and again, and again buddy
be easy and have a GREAT day!
~Blastum

If you are looking for a cheap humidifier, it's hard to beat the price of an old wet towel hung in the Veg cabinet to increase humidity. Just make sure it is clean and not all full of dryer sheet smell or wash perfumes. I wash mine every few days in just hot water and a little bleach to decrease the chance of mold. I have had great results increasing humidity in the winter months with a wet towel hanging so the air movement can evaporate and distribute the moisture.

I guess it depends on your regional weather if you need to add humidity often enough to buy a humidifier. I did try my Mom's old Vicks Vapor Rub humidifier that she used on me as a kid, but it produced too much moisture, like everything was dripping wet after an hour in the cabinet! Any older folks remember those machines?

Great help TheCelt +REPS to you

Best of Buds
JB

:Namaste:

JBU...
thanks buddy!
Wife pickd upa 9 gallon humidifier already, I'm gonna use your towel method right now, maybe she canjust do a return. I don't mind spednig the bread, but, I also don't mind trying something that I DON'T need ta drop $ on lol
thanks again...love this place 420mag ROCKS!
peace,
~Blastum

Back
Top Bottom