1000w HPS question - Need help fast

Css1982

I am at the grow store and need some quick input can i run a 1000w hps bulb in a 600w only set up hood,ballast etc..please anybody

Probably will work, but a lot of missing information for a definate answer.

Hi thebeast27,

Truly only looking to learn in asking, but many of the dimmable 1000 watt ballasts have settings of 600, 750, 1000 and turbo. I have to confess to having only enough knowledge about electricity to avoid killing myself :rofl: so I wonder if you might help me understand the difference.

I could easily see a concern if one were trying to run a 600 watt bulb in a 1000 watt ballast, but don't get where a higher wattage rated bulb in a lower power ballast might be dangerous. If anything I would expect it might just not come on. Any help in understanding appreciated.

What do u mean is ur ballast dimmable.if it is then u simply buy each buld for woteva watt ur running.just never over run the watt of bulb per setting of ballast.if u put a 1000w buld on the 600w setting ur asking for trouble.cnt want ya killing yaself lol;) but if dimmable ur good to go;)

thebeast27,

Thanks for the replies. I wonder if perhaps you misunderstood the original poster's question. He was asking if he could run a higher rated bulb (1000 watt) in a lower powered (600 watt) ballast. Not the other way around.

I have a dimmable 600 watt ballast. I can run it (with the same 600 watt rated bulb) at 600, 450, or 300 watts. No changing bulbs of bulbs needed.

I suspect this member had a bulb go out suddenly and didn't have a spare. Ran to the store and found no 600 watt bulbs available but instead 1000 watt bulbs where available. Obviously I'm guessing at this, but it's the first scenario that comes to mind as to why someone might be willing to pay more for a bulb that is over rated for their ballast.

As you suggested, I did google 1000 watt bulb in 600 watt ballast and a number of people have at one time or another considered the same question. Turns out it works just fine although obviously you only the intensity of light you would normally get from a 600 watt light, perhaps even a little less due to the extra resistance built into the higher wattage bulb.

Thanks again for helping me understand your response. I surely did not want to respond to the poster with unsafe information.

Back
Top Bottom