Can I upgrade my electronic ballast to 1000w (and bulb) and use the same cords?

braddd

I just got an apollo 600 watt grow system. It came with a ballast, bulb, hood (cool tube style), cords and all that. I don't plan to upgrade soon but I'd like to know -if my ballast ever went out and/or I want to upgrade to 1000w ballast could I do this and use the same cords/hood/socket and everything else from the 600w system. I would replace the bulb with a 1000w of course .

Also... say I chose a different company ballast like lumatek. Would that be fine or would it have to be Apollo?

I know these might come off as very basic things to ask but I AM A BEGINNER! And excited!
Thanks in advance for any help -this is my first post. Thanks too everyone for creating such a useful forum.

Welcome to :420:

You will need to verify the rating on the socket, and cords yourself. Different companies use different materials, so there's no clear cut yes/no answer to give you.

You need to find the total amp draw on the new bulb, and ballast, and verify that your cords will support it. UL listed wires should all be stamped with their electrical rating. You will be looking for the rating on the cord from the wall to the ballast, and then the rating for the cord from the ballast to the bulb. You will also need to verify that the socket for the hood is rated to handle 1000 watts.

a cord is the last of your worries when upgrading lights as they usually come with them, and if they don't, it is a couple of bucks to rectify...

Thanks you two. I've just been thinking about ballast where you can set the wattage that you need and wanted to ask because I knew this would be on my mind until i figured it out. I've heard no negative things about apollo though -so I feel I've made a good choice, How, ver it doesn't stop me from researching more and more every chance I get!

Back
Top Bottom