2 Medical Marijuana Users Convicted -- Is it Right?

Last week, in separate and unrelated cases, two Maryland residents who use cannabis to control symptoms of a serious or chronic condition used their medical necessity as a mitigating circumstance during sentencing. As a result, both individuals received a $100 fine – the maximum penalty permitted by the State of Maryland's medical marijuana law.

The first case involved Bill, a local ASA advocate and 50-something grandfather of two. Bill suffers from a rare, serious condition known as Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS). The case second concerned a nineteen-year-old woman who uses cannabis to control symptoms of epilepsy. They were both charged by prosecutors with felony possession with intent to distribute. ASA provided information to both defense councils, but I was honored to provide my personal testimony at Bill's sentencing hearing.

While the outcome is better than the alternative, the process patients are required are undergo underscores the need for real medical marijuana reform in Maryland. The bottom line: no one who uses cannabis in accordance with a physician's recommendation should be treated as a criminal by law enforcement or subjected to fines or other penalties. Anything less than comprehensive reform leaves patients vulnerable to arrest and prosecution and wastes taxpayer money!

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Opposing Views
Author: Americans for Safe Access
Copyright: 2009 Opposing Views, Inc.
Website: 2 Medical Marijuana Users Convicted -- Is it Right?

i haven't posted for a while because i am depressed and dismayed, disappointed by the attitude of many americans and our leaders towards the ill. i do not wish illness on anyone, but there is a complete lack of compassion here. to just act legalistic instead of being helpful is just the type of attiude that Jesus was angry at. and still is. those who are judgemental like that will face eternal judgement upon their souls.

i haven't posted for a while because i am depressed and dismayed, disappointed by the attitude of many americans and our leaders towards the ill. i do not wish illness on anyone, but there is a complete lack of compassion here. to just act legalistic instead of being helpful is just the type of attiude that Jesus was angry at. and still is. those who are judgemental like that will face eternal judgement upon their souls.

100% agree. It's absolutely mind boggling how quick people are to judge. I don't wish illness either, but a day in the life of someone with a chronic illness would sure change their attitude in a hurry.

And no disrespect to Maryland, but I'm pretty sure there's enough real crime going on in Baltimore to keep them busy for a long, long time. Why mess with mmj users?

I now have to watch every word I say and to whom when I am out in public. Being an advocate can bring heat down on you. I am waiting for my card to come in the mail. Till I have that card in my hot little hands, I can be charged with all kinds of things. That does not mean they will stick, but it is a big hassle to have go through an arrest over nothing. Even when I do have my card I will have to watch myself. I do not want people breaking into my house looking for dope.

Its not just Maryland. The same problems exist in the other states. They'll arrest you first and worry about proving it later. And anyone thats been through the system knows its just about impossible to beat the government. They have all the money and resources and the defendent has none.

Baltimore and Montgomery County MD are about 40 miles apart in the real world, but world's apart in actual practice. Yes, Baltimore has plenty of crime. MC is basically a white bread upper middle class bedroom community. You can buy a ready to move in house in Baltimore and own it outright for $20k. $20k will barely be a downpayment anywhere in MC. I think being in the same state is the only thing the two jurisdictions really have in common.

It's not much, but being in a 'decrimmed' medical state would be a lot better than being in a place that absolutely doesn't recognize any medical defense. It's also that way because the legislature let the Bush administration twist their arm.

Back
Top Bottom