250w HPS stealth dresser: help with heat/fans?!

Put the scrubber on the exhaust, and it definitely lowers noise by like 10%. Air flow from passive intakes seems good still, holds a piece of cardboard paper no problem although it doesn't suck it up from 1.5 inches away like it did with notebook paper. But I did put the pantyhose on the tops of the passive intakes for dust/bugs. So all that plays a role in the temps.

I first set it up and left and came back an hour later room temp was 79 degrees, dresser 84 degrees. Checked exhaust and the inline fan was almost sideways and not in the thru-wall duct on the top of the dresser. All the blankets and stuff weighed it over and pushed it off. I haven't sealed the fan down in there yet because I don't know what to use, theres almost no room at all to get my hand down there compared the thin Fantech FX4 I had and measured the space for. So I pushed in down as hard as I could and placed the blankets in there nicely.

Currently room temp is 75.9, dresser temp 78.8. But I'm lucky to get the room to under 78, air conditioner sucks. When the TV or light is on, or game console, or the laptops the room temp goes up and with the air conditioner on full high cool its still like 77-79.

2936.jpg

11326.jpg

Got a rubbermaid container for a veg/mom box but its hard and a pain to work with and cover light leaks. Will finish it sometime but this is what will be used for now. 4 26w daylight bulbs, and 1 23w soft white bulb. Total of about 125 watts. They've been in there not so long, and currently dressers at 79.2, room temp 75.6 degrees (didn't expect em to get that hot). The ducting is still attached to the 250w HPS hood, so its pulling hot air up through the hole in the hood and wherever else it can. Most likely will take ducting off and let it hang near the CFL lights. The inline fans on HIGH still, tried turning it down with the variable speed controller but it makes such a loud hum noise. Scrubbers still on the exhaust because of air flow noise reasons.

They say to start autos in the same pot it will be in for the rest of its days to limit stress, and after some research they say to use 2-3 gallons for nice large plants and yield, but since I am height restricted will have to settle at around 1.5-2 gallons. Regardless of what they say, I will germinate then place in one of these tupperware containers shown. Then onto the 1.5-2 gallon grow bags under the 250w HPS. Which container do you suggest me using with some easy early on LST-ing? Anyone one know when the autos are safe to put under the 250 watter?

Need pH up and some watering containers then onto germination.

Hey Stealth,that looks awesome!A couple of things,your temps are'nt as bad as you think,back duing "overgrow"times i was told to mount my temp gauge on the wall at top of plant hieght,also to cover it with carboard or something to reflex the light;it had to do with plants being tolerent to some radiant heat.I never done autos,it'll be very intresting.Im hear for the ride!Any help you need let us know,WE LOVE BIG BUDS!!Oh i did say a couple of things.Have you ever thought about putting the light on top of the dresser in a bin like the one you already have on top,it would give you so much space also help with the heat issue if you have one?Thats just something to think about,GET some plants in there.Stay Safe!!

Lookin awesome man. kind of like a higher end of what I got going on haha. I have just about the same kind of thing going, with the AC running 24/7 in my room, and lights on 24/0 in the cab, but its only a 2' T5 fixture.:welldone:

Also, like the idea of the webcam, think Ill try to integrate one into my next gro, would be cool to do a time lapse at the end. Did it for a modular home we built and it came out pretty cool.

Hey,did you germ yet?You can put the plants under the 250 right away,but you may want to wait two weeks its up to you.1.5-2 gallon pots are fine.Love the cam!Stay Safe!!

If you still have heat issues, best things you could do (IMHO) are:

Get some high-temp wire (never can be too safe), open that reflector and yank the ballast out and wire it up remotely. A good portion of the heat that fixture produces is from the ballast and there's no need for it to be inside the grow box (unless you honestly just don't have a place to put it).

You've got a semi-sealed light setup with potential to make it a completely sealed (in regards to the grow box) one. Redo your setup so that you've got air coming in from outside, passing through the fixture, and returning outside without ever mixing with the grow box air. Add a second, smaller (in all likelihood) fan setup just for the grow box itself and place your carbon air scrubber on it. You won't have nearly the same amount of heat on that one which helps two ways - you can potentially exhaust that into your bedroom (where the a/c is at) and the light vent into another space or even outside of your home since that air won't smell like anything but hot air, lol, and secondly because the smelly grow box air that you DO have to pass through your carbon filter will be much cooler, making your scrubber work a slight bit more efficiently and last quite a bit longer between changes.

And if any noise still bothers you, remember that a solid duct is always going to be quieter than a non-solid one with obstructions - that flexible duct is convenient, but it not only doesn't do a thing for reducing noise, it actually increases it due to the fact that the interior of it isn't smooth. (For extra help, you can always purchase double wall type B gas vent duct - but it costs a little more, maybe 2x-3x.)

These are all just suggestions.

BtW, I can't tell for sure, but it looks like you've got limited headroom. If you cut a hole in the floor of that dresser you can set your containers on the floor of the room/closet and pick up a few extra inches. Flat black poster board under the dresser (a few inches back where it's in shadow) would most likely hide anything unless a person was on their belly looking under it with a flashlight - and if that happens, you've already been found out by the landlord(?) anyway.

Thanks guys.

Yea I germed 1 Afgan Kush Ryder and 1 Himalaya blue Diesel and planted them on the 4th of July. Will post some pics on here, maybe start a journal up to where I'm at now. Both females, and both are flowering already. So small though, I kept the CFLs way too close or didn't use the 250w HPS soon enough.

Take care!

Himalaya Blue Diesel and Afgan Kush Ryder. Random pictures from the past couple weeks.

AKR isn't doing good, flushed them both day. Dont know whats up, but they are showing brown dots and messed up leaf dips, along with downward clawing leave. HBD seems great, but doesnt smell whatsoever like the AKR.

HBD_36_days_old.jpg

Day_31_I_believe.jpg

Day_28_maybe.jpg

35_and_36_days_AKR_and_HBD.jpg

What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom