2nd Grow - Cosmic Brain

Electricthom

On to what I am calling Grow number two. All past issues were solved with a dose of CalMagic. Stinks losing three girls for a $17 bottle of stuff, but... I am growing 4 Cosmic Brain plants from seed given to me by a new friend. Throughout this grow I will be growing with coco in Hempy buckets and using Gen Hydro 3 part with additives; RapidStart, Foloralishous, CalMagic and KoolBloom liquid and powder. They will veg under CFL's and be flowered in a 5x5 tent under a 1000 watt hps.

Description from breeder:
"The mother of the Cosmic Brain is a very old Afghani clone that has been past down through several generations. She tastes of earthy/coffee/kush and extremely potent with a narcotic effect that will topple the biggest tolerance. She is also very stable and has proven to help stabilize offspring out of the several crosses that I've used her for, thus making her an ideal canna-date for the males in the stable. (same mother of the Mochalope)

The Father of the Cosmic Brain is a Space Queen male that was very stable with great christmas tree structure. The male's offspring has exhibited cherry,vanilla, and watermelon. This male has proven great worth throughout the few crosses that he has been involved with.

The outcome of these parents have resulted into a wonderful combination of flavors, ranging from Vanilla Latte to cherry/vanilla/cocoa. The watremelon flavors/smells have not been spotted in this particular offspring partly due to the dominance of the Afghani's coffee/kush taste and smells.

This strain is easy to grow that has had a very pleasing result from every seed grown to this point. It's extremely stable and all parents have shown signs of "true" fem and ,male qualities(no nanners found in any of offspring after stress tests of males and females).

Pheno #1 (50%) has Oregon Afghani dominant traits and "pole plant" structure with not much branching. Smells are of a sweet vanilla coffee (vanilla latte). Hairs are more of a pale brown/tan on these phenos and very easy to differentiate from the other which have a brighter red/orange color to them.

Pheno #2 (50%) is more space queen dominant that has a bit more stretch than #1, with an added cherry smell to the sweet vanilla coffee scents. This pheno will branch out a bit more and have a little more stretch to it. This one seems to clone easy partly due to the more vigorous branching.

Bloom times on all phenos were within a few days of each other. 9 weeks for a heavier body high and 8 weeks for a bit more head buzz. Cloudy/amber trichs were seen around 55 days. Hair color and structure is dead give away to the dominant traits since they are opposite sides of the spectrum.

Indica Dominant
Flowering time: 8-9 weeks
Stretch: .75-1
Resin Profile: Copious Resin
Odour Score: 7
Odour: Vanilla, cherry, coffee, and cocoa.
Flavour Score: 8
Flavour: Vanilla Latte, cherry vanilla cocoa coffee
Potency Score: 8
High Type: 50/50 head body high, medical relief for pain, anxiety, and insomnia"
:peace:

Re: 2nd Grow, Cosmic Brain

Here's one form the site of a ripe plant.
cosmicbrainjan11b.png

Photo courtesy of Dynasty Seeds

Nice pic man, great to see you here. I got pics from lights on this morning so we'll start today's journal with today's photo's. Makes sense to me. I gave them all very original names in order of pics CB-1, CB-2, CB-3 and CB-4.
IMAG07562.jpg

IMAG07592.jpg
IMAG07583.jpg

IMAG07573.jpg

4 out of 5 to pop isn't to bad in my book, especially when they were free. So happy to have good quality without a investment to grow while zeroing in on what works best for me. I am confident with the nutes I have now and enviorment is under control. The present plants are showing great progress and the best clone is way ahead of her mother in bud size and tric development with the new nutes.:peace:

A little update. The fast one out of the box turned grayish brown at day 7 on the baby leaves, first leaves and half of the second set. I got no clue why. it looks like it is coming back a little so fingers crossed. The other three are tiny but growing, they are what I assuming for now to be the Indica Pheno :thumb: with the first being the sativa dominant variety judging strictly by their first week of height growth.
IMAG08251.jpg

I added a unknown I had thrown outside to die and forgot about to the ICU just for shits and giggles. if a two leaf neglected plant lives on its own in a keg party cup for three weeks in a heatwave it deserves a second chance. And until these seeds grow I got to smoke something right?
IMAG08261.jpg

One more thing I added a low dose of calmag and SuperThrive to the last water. My thinking is the coco has nothing and I needed to create a more hospitable environment. Since then is when I think I saw improvement in #1 and 2,3 and 4 look nice and strong. I am still a little unsure when I should start giving them nutes, I see after two weeks, after three weeks, wait until it looks like they are starving,... Any suggestions?

Off topic question; Should I germinate in a pellet or smaller cup so the coco can dry out faster? They take up so little water it just doesn't seem to ever get dry. I used cups because they were hung in the paper towel so the root came straight down instead of curling around. The tap was a inch straight out so putting it in a deep hole with the shell just under the surface seemed the way to go

I never wait till the tap gets that long, as soon as it cracks, I drop it in the cube.

I soak 24-48 hours in a glass of water in the fridge (wintering) and then into paper towels, or straight to cubes. If in paper towels, I check them every twelve hours for the telltale split in the coat and that little white root tip. Then they go straight into the cubes, and under the heat and humidity they go.

As for germinating in cups, for the first 7-14 days you never-ever want your medium to dry out really. The root is so delicate, that any dry spots will cause necrosis. Once the seedling is well established, it's fine to let your medium dry a bit, but I still mist them for the first 21 days. until I step up to half nutes.

I know that was a roundabout way of answering the question, but I hope it helped, anyway.

Yes it was helpful as always. The guy the seed came from uses Riots germ method so I was just following his lead. He frowned on clone saying I would inherit someone else's problems, but he will get me some if I want. I think to keep me in meds for now I will have him get me a few clones to fill in the gaps while I get these seeds going. I just left them, a little bigger but slow growers.:peace:

Well CB-1 took the way of the YMCA I have been getting in the tent. 5 out of 6 were boys, the first girl gave me some comfort and there are three (2 CB and one hash tasting bagseed) yet to show sex. I was graced with two 2' GDP's , 3 Blue Dream seedling and 6 or 7 misc. unknown(to me, I forgot strain names too excited about GDP) at various stages from 1 to 5 weeks along.
:woohoo:
That solves lack of female plants in flower because of the boy problem and then some!:peace:

CB2 is a girl:thumb:
IMAG10424.jpg
IMAG10445.jpg

IMAG10436.jpg

She is a bit shorter than I would like but with the new additions its all good. So nice to look into the tents and see all the girls at different stages. A quick picture inventory of the NICU, Veg tent and Flower tent:
NICU= 9 out of 9 sprouts and a sad clone (I am going to go from seed for now until I build a cloner)
IMAG10493.jpg

Veg tent with a surprise Blue Dream that just popped up with the one 2nd from the right in the front. It looks like a tan line in the upper left side of the cup.
IMAG10483.jpg

The flower tent, There wont be much from the stretched out GDP on the right but he has a good stock on her so I'll play with the one reveg until I can afford to get a few to choose a mother from.
IMAG10472.jpg

Sad day CB3 the largest of the brains is a boy. He was sent packing this morning but there is one still in veg for a week or two for one last chance. On the bright side both re-numbered H1 & H2 are looking great did a little LST here and there and the branching is spaced out beautifully. They are on the way to nice short bushy bud covered ladies. Will get pics up soon of CB1, H1 & H2.:peace:

Back
Top Bottom