2nd Grow: ScrOG Help

desertbear87

420 Member
I am just popping seeds for my second ever grow as my first one finishes flowering out. First grow was HG WWx California Snow Autos x4 in a 4x4 Gorilla tent under 2x SF2000 panels. I experimented with topping, LST, and defoliation on these plants and they seem to be doing fairly well. One has flowered much later than the other three but it's puttering right along.

20200619_205811.gif

For my second grow I am trying out feminized photos (HG Gelato) and have added a second tent (2x4) for clone/veg and also where I will keep a mother plant (going to experiment with doing a bonsai mother). This will house four DWC bubble buckets under 2x Mars Hydro TS600 lights and when plants are ready they will be moved to the 4x4 into a 4-site RDWC setup that I am putting together right now.

I want to ScrOG these plants for maximum yield. I was wondering if it is possible to do this once they're in the flower (4x4) tent during the first couple weeks of 12/12?

As much as I would love to just have an additional 4x4 and thus keep them in place from veg-flower in each tent, it isn't feasible at this time.

Any help and advice is appreciated. Thank you.

I suppose, to some extent. You'll lose all the vegetative growth time, which is prime "screen training time." There's the first 40% (+/-) of the flowering period, which is known as "the stretch" for a reason. However - IMHO - that should be used to finish filling one's screen, not to accomplish the entire population of it. After all, you also need stretch time to allow those tips that have (hopefully) filled every hole to grow upwards. That's how you end up with a thick, full canopy of buds.

Having multiple plants will help, because you end up with less screen area to fill per plant. But it also complicates things, unless you are using clones from the same mother. You might find that your plants grow at different rates, for example. And you will probably end up with a set of plants that end up being ready for harvest at different days. That seems like it'll be a pain in the @ss, since they will all be growing into - and through - the same screen. What do you do if you only have access from one side of your tent and the first plant that is ready for harvest ends up being the one that is farthest from your tent's door, lol?

Again, this is my opinion. But, IMHO, the SCROG concept works best with one plant per screen. If the grower must use multiple plants, that would mean multiple screens. Perhaps ones built onto frames that (each) hold both a screen and the plant/container. Add a set of casters/wheels, lol, and you can start the training in the vegetative growth space and roll the plant into the flower space when the time is right. And, if you end up having to harvest the plant in the far corner first, roll the ones that are in the way... out of the flowering space (and out of your way).

@TorturedSoul always popping in with quality info! I agree that a single plant is the way to go in scrog. The main advantage of scrog is eliminating plant count. Tortured is right that, different plants can be a pita, but if you're a skilled trainer you can overcome this. Here is one of my favorite pics, and it happens to be a 4 plant scrog, all different strains.

yktdnzrtkfh21.jpg

I suppose, to some extent. You'll lose all the vegetative growth time, which is prime "screen training time." There's the first 40% (+/-) of the flowering period, which is known as "the stretch" for a reason. However - IMHO - that should be used to finish filling one's screen, not to accomplish the entire population of it. After all, you also need stretch time to allow those tips that have (hopefully) filled every hole to grow upwards. That's how you end up with a thick, full canopy of buds.

Having multiple plants will help, because you end up with less screen area to fill per plant. But it also complicates things, unless you are using clones from the same mother. You might find that your plants grow at different rates, for example. And you will probably end up with a set of plants that end up being ready for harvest at different days. That seems like it'll be a pain in the @ss, since they will all be growing into - and through - the same screen. What do you do if you only have access from one side of your tent and the first plant that is ready for harvest ends up being the one that is farthest from your tent's door, lol?

Again, this is my opinion. But, IMHO, the SCROG concept works best with one plant per screen. If the grower must use multiple plants, that would mean multiple screens. Perhaps ones built onto frames that (each) hold both a screen and the plant/container. Add a set of casters/wheels, lol, and you can start the training in the vegetative growth space and roll the plant into the flower space when the time is right. And, if you end up having to harvest the plant in the far corner first, roll the ones that are in the way... out of the flowering space (and out of your way).

I was thinking I could build 2x2 frames for each plant in the flower tent, but there's no way I would be able to fit them in my 2x4 veg tent doing 4 plants to then move to the flower tent. The flower tent is going to be RDWC so I won't be able to wheel them around. I do have access at the back of my tent, though.

Maybe this time around, I should experiment with mainlining/manifolding instead.

Honestly, I am not super concerned with getting the absolute best yield possible, more with enjoying the process and learning new things.

I was hoping that with four plants, each would have enough stretch in the first couple weeks of flower to fill out individual 2x2 nets.

@TorturedSoul always popping in with quality info! I agree that a single plant is the way to go in scrog. The main advantage of scrog is eliminating plant count. Tortured is right that, different plants can be a pita, but if you're a skilled trainer you can overcome this. Here is one of my favorite pics, and it happens to be a 4 plant scrog, all different strains.

yktdnzrtkfh21.jpg
Those are beautiful.

I was hoping that with four plants, each would have enough stretch in the first couple weeks of flower to fill out individual 2x2 nets.

At a guess, they probably would (depending on rate of growth). Also, you aren't (I assume) sticking tiny plants into your flowering space. if you've trained their growth patterns appropriately, in theory you should be able to place a growth tip into most holes anyway, right? That wouldn't be a SCROG though, per se, just a screen used for supporting the plant. But it's an option.

At a guess, they probably would (depending on rate of growth). Also, you aren't (I assume) sticking tiny plants into your flowering space. if you've trained their growth patterns appropriately, in theory you should be able to place a growth tip into most holes anyway, right? That wouldn't be a SCROG though, per se, just a screen used for supporting the plant. But it's an option.

Good point. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom