2nd RDWC Help! Experience Needed!

stoner314

420 Member
Ok here's whats is going on

4ft×4ft×78in Apollo tent

1000w dimmable hps/mh

3 - 5 gallon insulated setup 2 plant buckets and 1 res all wrapped with insulation and white tape all over to reflect heat

100 gallon air pump with 4in stones in each bucket

24 in carbon filter inline with enclosed reflector on 425 cfm 6in exhaust fan going outside

3000lt/780 gallon water pump going to two pressure nozzles pointed in to water of plant buckets coming from res.(crazy bubbles)

6in fan up top and 36 in tower fan on oscillation

Hydroton medium with rapid rooter plug from clone setup

Nutrients
General Hydroponics 3 PART plus Hydrogaurd for veg phase

Now here is the questions,

I am taking 2.5 gallons of the solution from the reservoir and chilling it in the fridge till it drops to 40* and putting it back in when temps max out around 75*. Doing that drops them back down to 64* and slowly climbs back up after about 10hours. So would the quick temp change shock them and can the nutrients get that low temp?

Next question is I went ahead and got the Advance Nutrients line coming for the flower! I am going to use the 3 part ph perfect with voodoo juice, b-52, big buds, bud candy and overdrive. My question is can I still use the hydrogaurd to prevent root rot or will that effect the voodoo juice and the other nutes? And how does everyone like the AN line?!?

Last thing is for the in-line pump what does everyone suggest for a filter? I have a hose screen in the hose leading to the pump but it's small and get clogged up from small pieces of hydroton and I guess very small pieces of roots that break off.

Re: 2nd RDWC HELP! Experience Needed!!!

High Stoner314

Voodoo juice should replace what's in the Hydroguard but I'm not certain. I've never used either tho I have been using AN nutes for 14 years. a year or more ago I switched from the old 3-part and got Sensi Grow for veg and Connoisseur for flowering. I also use Rhino Skin from the start, a bit of CalMag as I use RO water only with Big Bud and OverDrive in flowering.

I really like not having to fool around with pH anymore and it's been working great in DWC and with ProMix HP in pots. I think you'll really like the AN. Now that Miracle Grow owns GH no self-respecting pot farmer will be buying that stuff tho newbies will likely grab it when it starts showing up in Walmart. :)

I use my DIY chiller I made from a water cooler to keep my temps between 61-64F and she's growing nice fat colas so low temp seems good but I don't know if the sudden change in temp is going to mess up your plants. Generally, gradual changes are best. I would try filling up some 2L/qt pop bottles with salty water and dropping 1 or 2 in the rez so the temp can go down slower. 1/4 cup of salt in each will keep it frozen longer at colder temps. I have a few in my deep freeze that I use to chill the condenser for my still.

Is the pump that gets plugged up a submersible pump? I use a small fountain pump in my DWC tub to circulate the nutes through the chiller tank on the water cooler. It has big slots for the water to get into the pump and I covered them with mosquito netting that I sealed all the way around with a glue gun. Keeps everything out of the pump and easy to rinse off with a stream spray from my sprayer bottle.

Sounds like you have some good gear there and just a couple minor glitches to iron out. :thumb:

L8r

Re: 2nd RDWC HELP! Experience Needed!!!

I tried the water bottle trick but it was getting crazy, a/c routed to tent helped alot. The pump can be submerged but it adds heat. I need to do so more research about the hydrogaurd or if someone used it. And that's actually why the GH is out of my setup, can't wait to see what they put in it! Advance Nutrients from here on out, have heard to many good things and so far nothing negative, unless they were a noob and made a mistake.

Have you tried doing a search? Might be other threads already about them.

I haven't run into to many folks using AN here. Once they try them tho they generally love 'em.

L8r

I don't see any issues using Voodoo juice & Hydroguard...I've read people using them together with other products like ZHO, EWC, Myco, Great White..etc for a tea. I use Hydroguard sometimes with Z7 (2 part) works great, and I experiment out on the patio with a waterfarm and the temps can reach 82f, you'll need a lot more oxygen bubbles in the reservoir at those temps but should still have light white roots and no baddies around. :)

Well I went ahead and did it, 3 part AN, bud candy, voodoo juice, piranha, Hydrogaurd and Upgraded the air pump to 1200gph and the roots have tripled in size. I'm going in to 2nd week of flower and the scrog is 95% full so I hope the stretch stops soon. I think the extra air is helping keep the Temps down as well, it's looks like the water is at a rapid boil because there's so much air.

Back
Top Bottom