400 pounds of marijuana found in Farmington barn; Berwick man arrested

Hash

Rochester - Local and federal drug agents arrested a Berwick, Maine man Saturday after confirming an estimated 400 pounds of marijuana being hidden in a barn in Farmington belonged to him.

Robert Vennard, 55, of 8 Turbini Lane, was arrested after a friend, who was hiding several boxes of plastic-wrapped and boxed marijuana at his Farmington residence, turned the drugs over to state drug task force agents after becoming afraid to continue storing it for him.

On Monday, Rochester District Court Judge Daniel Cappiello set Vennard's bail at $500,000 cash only with stipulations he sign a waiver of extradition as a result of the danger and the high quantity of narcotics.

According to the court affidavit, police have also found evidence connecting him as a "business partner" to drug and gun suspect Michael Croteau of Barrington.

On Nov. 16, Croteau was found with 6 pounds of marijuana, but another 100 pounds of marijuana, $52,800 in cash, an Uzi 9mm and a .25 caliber handgun were discovered during a search of his Barrington home.

Vennard was arrested at his home by Drug Enforcement Agency and New Hampshire Attorney General's Drug Task Force agents.

According to court documents, the unnamed friend told police he no longer wanted to be involved with storing the drugs.

The friend led agents to a large barn, where they discovered boxes coated internally with coffee grounds and axle grease, designed to cover the smell of the marijuana.

Under the mixture were plastic-wrapped bags of marijuana.

DEA and task force agents were tipped off by Farmington Police, who received a call from a man who was storing Vennard's drugs for him, according to the affidavit.

Farmington Police and task force agents have been in the process of investigating Vennard since the middle of November, when Croteau was arrested for the possession and intent to distribute 100 pounds of marijuana found at his home.

Other friends of Vennard provided Farmington police and DEA agents cell phone numbers, a vehicle description and an address for Vennard, although each said they were afraid of the man.

Vennard reportedly told a number of friends that "if anyone ever rats me out, they're dead," according to the affidavit.

Vennard and Croteau are both being held at the Strafford County House of Corrections as they await further hearings in the coming year.

Police alluded to a much broader drug network that the two men were associated with, but details from the Attorney General's office were not available as of Tuesday morning.

By Jason Howe
Democrat Staff Writer
https://www.fosters.com/December_2004/12.07.04/news/ro_1207e.asp

That boy gun get fuked up

Buddy who narced his boys out is gunna be in a box soon. 400 lbs? Id be bitter, and i think id relax once my UZI! was in my hand. Shit son, you don't narc someone like that out, thats fucken suicide. I bet hes got so many people after the narc right now, like shit they prolly just stomped the door in. I can almost hear the shots.. :cool: :cool:

Back
Top Bottom