6' by 5' Closet Lighting

SJSUGROW

I am going to order some MH/HPS lights this week.
They will be switchable. Is there any down side to these?
okay i have read all over the place that 1000w would cover a 4 by 4 room or 16 sq ft.
So should i get one 1000w and a 400w?
i was maybe even thinking 2 1000w. the more light the better right???

But then my issue becomes heating, because the room is 8 ft high, i dont think it will be getting to hot in there with 1400w, but maybe with 2000w it might be too much.

The room is 6ft by 5ft and 8 ft in height

Thanks

PS: Duh i need to tell you how many plants... Probably 6 the first week and then maybe 2 weeks later i will throw another 10 in there
So in total less then 20.
Hash Plant(6)
Grandaddy Purple(5)<---- is it really that hard to grow this?
White Widow(5)

if its in your budget its better to have more lower wattage lights that a single high watt light. with more lights youll better be able to have good light coverage for all the plants. if heat becomes an issue you can make a vent hood for your lights and thatll take care of a big portion of heat.
for the looks of it you should have an awesome grow on your hands in no time, have fun

By More lower wattage lights like 3 or 4 400w? is that what you are saying?
and a vent hood???
is that the same as throwing an inline fan in the corner to push air out of the room thru a wall or ceiling? or is it something else?
thnx for your help..

I would recommend (2) 600 watt lights with vented hoods. I would get a carbon filter and hang it from the ceiling run a 6" duct from your filter to your 1st light then from that light to the 2nd light then from the 2nd light to a fan that will suck the air through your filter then through your lights and exhaust out of the room. Be sure to have port holes in your room down low to allow fresh air to enter the room or you will create a vacuum.

vented hood?
so i am assuming these are the hoods that have the holes at each end to attach the venting ducts or whatever... right??

do u think growing these 3 separate strains in one closet will have any adverse affects on my crop??
and the fact that the Hash Plant has a 40-50 day flowering cycle and the other too have closer to 65 or 70 days in flowering...

Keep in mind that 2 600 watt lights in a grow closet is a mega setup. You can get some monster yields like that. 1200 watts can grow 6 plants to a finished height of over 5 feet tall with multiple colas. That means pounds of harvest not ounces.

vented hood?
so i am assuming these are the hoods that have the holes at each end to attach the venting ducts or whatever... right??

do u think growing these 3 separate strains in one closet will have any adverse affects on my crop??
and the fact that the Hash Plant has a 40-50 day flowering cycle and the other too have closer to 65 or 70 days in flowering...

yes, they have holes on each side to attach flex duct.

3 seperate strains will be fine as long as you can flush the hash plant seperately. Are you growing in soil or are you doing hydroponics?

this will be in soil and i will be watering each manually...
So i dont think i gotta worry, i will be flushing separately.

Can i get a quick rundown of how to hook up the lights in which order.. i have a 259CFM carbon odor scrubber for the room...

my friend has some 400w HPS. would getting 3 of these produce the same results as 2 600w?
and would i be able to run them all on one power surge strip without blowing anything up?

and last but not least...
for venting, obviously u do it at the ceiling where all the warmer air is...
But i would like to keep the making holes in my closet to a minimum, so would running the duct from the ceiling down to the floor and out thru the hole thru which i will have my extension cord coming thru and serve as the intake
and the duct would continue thru the room to a window???

I grow in a 2x4x6 cabinet with a 400w light and hand very little heating issues without my home made cool tube. In fact now I wish I had a 600w at least in there. You can get what ever light you want if you build your own cool tube. All you need to do is spend 8 Dollars on a and put it over the light bulb and run your ducting to it exhausting all the air over the light bulb before it is sucked out of your grow are. Its very effective and not 100 dollars for a hood. You can do-it yourself a lot easier than you think. If you know a little bit about wiring I would say to try to wire your own lights, my friend made a 400w HPS himself for 40 bucks.

The room is 6ft by 5ft and 8 ft in height
I'm with Stix on this one. 600w electronic ballasts are some of the most efficient so you get max lumens for the energy you use. Two 600s will be more than enough light for that room and it will be distributed nicely in the area.

Just my 2c, fwiw. :grinjoint:

I'll look forward to seeing a journal!

:peace:

Harry

I have finalized my plan and will be receiving my paycheck on the 20th. So i will be ordering the equipment online, i decided to buy the (1) 600w MH/HPS light...

Is this good... (i will buy a second one shortly after another month)

i might get the one with the glass hood

i will throw my 15 clones under it:
(10) Hash Plant
(5) Grandaddy Purple

i think that should work for 2-3 weeks...
agreed?

I can confirm that is a good one. You will most likely come out cheaper if you buy direct from the source (htgsupply dot com) and skip ebay. The vendor avoids ebay & paypal charges and passes those saving along to you.

A cool tube or other air cooled hood will be a must, especially when you get two in there. ;)

Harry

wow... harry
i just spent the last hour reading the whole journal of your first grow....
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!
I hope i do half as good as you

I also checked out HTGSupply and its actually cheaper on ebay for that setup by like 40 bucks.

which is better and will wouke out best for my grow room a cool tube or air cooled hood?

Thanks SJSUGROW. I actually had better results on my 2ng grow attempt, once I began LSTing those giants. ;)

Are you sure that it's $40.00 cheaper on ebay? It's actually the exact same price on the htgsupply website (199+ship). Most of the time, htgsupply charges a flat rate for shipping on ebay, which makes it more expensive.

The link you provided is for a package with an open hood. You're most likely gonna need a cool tube or an air cooled hood. Here's one like that from htg on ebay.

That system is $300.90 with shipping on ebay.

If you buy the exact same system from their website, it only $268.00 with shipping (to my location), which is $32.00 less than if purchased from ebay.

High Tech Garden Supply

Check the link above, select the hood you want and click add to cart. At that point, you can enter your zipcode to find out shipping charges. I'll bet it will be $20-$30 cheaper than the $53.95 they are charging for shipping on ebay, unless you live in Alaska. ;)

Good luck!!

Harry

Is the cooltube better than an air cooled reflector hood???
and i was looking at the Switchable MH/HPS 600w....

if i dont get switchable... would getting one HPS and one Mh be bad?

I don't know if a cool tube is "better" but from what I understand, it runs a little cooler.

Those 600w electronic ballasts from Digital Greenhouse Systems are auto-switchable, small and they run cool. You can just plug in a HPS or a MH and it will work.

Some people like having both spectrums during flowering but 4twenty4all just did a test with HPS on one side and MH on the other. The side exposed to the HPS had larger, denser buds. I believe if it were me, I just with use HPS bulbs in both.

Harry

if the ballasts are auto-switchable...
that means that i could buy both bulbs and switch between Veg and Flowering? or no?
edit: basically is the whole system switchable or on;y the ballasts... and that means i have to have a separate light bulb socket in the cool tube?

and secondly, can i have my odor scrubber exhaust into a duct thru my 2 cool tube lights and then outside...? does that work or do i need an inline fan?

PS: Harry, i hope u turn in to my grow journal... all of urs have captivated me

Is the cooltube better than an air cooled reflector hood???
and i was looking at the Switchable MH/HPS 600w....

if i dont get switchable... would getting one HPS and one Mh be bad?
They are both the same in design. A light source with air flowing through it. most reflectors are metal which retains heat easier but with a powerful enough fan one can get the same results. I've been making both designs for several years now. pics in my gallery

if the ballasts are auto-switchable...
that means that i could buy both bulbs and switch between Veg and Flowering? or no?
Yes, all you have to do is unplug the ballast, screw in a HPS or MH bulb and power it on. Being auto-switchable, the same ballast, socket and hood can be used for either type of bulb.

Back
Top Bottom