A Texas Woman Wants Marijuana To Come Home

Jacob Redmond

A Texas woman is pleading with lawmakers to let her bring marijuana from Colorado home with her.

Sherise Nipper suffers from epilepsy. She was diagnosed with the disease after a traumatic brain injury. She has 15 to 30 seizures every day. She's spent the last decade in a foggy haze of prescription medicines and doctors' visits.

"There were points where I was in the hospital having 200 seizures and doctors were looking at each other like, 'What do we do? OK, just give her more medicine,'" said Nipper.

"She has been having seizures all her life, and nothing is going to ever stop it. I'm just so used to it," said Nipper's 15-year-old son Hunter Chisholm.

Nipper said her family's finances have been crippled by medical bills.

"I don't want to be on disability. I don't want to be on a limited income. I don't want someone to tell me, 'You're only worth this much, now sit in bed and take these prescriptions. No, I am worth more than that," said Nipper.

Nipper and her family decided to traveled to Colorado for a 30-day trial to see if cannabis would be a treatment.

"I didn't think it would work at all because I was thinking she has been having seizures all her life, and nothing is ever going to stop that," said Chisholm.

Two consultants from Green Horizon Medical and a scientist from Emerald Fields pot shop have been working with Nipper to find marijuana products that curb her seizures.

It's been four days since Nipper had a seizure and her family is celebrating.

"It's really an eye-opener to see what a small plant can do versus the entire pharmaceutical community," said Nipper's husband, Nicholas Nipper.

"This is the longest I have been without a seizure in 10 years, and I am forever grateful for this. I was running around playing with my boys in the parking lot yesterday, just playing tag, and it was the most joyous moment for me and my family," said Sherise Nipper. "I just want to say thank you to everyone who has pulled together to help me get here."

Nipper has a service dog named Pluto that alerts her 10 minutes before she has a seizure. When the dog sounds the alarm, Nipper's husband administers marijuana drops and a patch, and she inhales a few puffs.

"We have moved mountains already, and we have showed we have cured my epilepsy," said Nipper.

The fight for Nipper and her family isn't over. Nipper wants lawmakers in Texas to allow her to bring marijuana for medical reasons to her state.

There is a bill that's been proposed that, if passed, would decriminalize small amounts of marijuana.

Nipper said it's a step in the right direction and hopes lawmakers make the right decision.

"It's either you break the law and you risk losing your kids -- and my kids mean the world to me -- or we move out of the state and we do it legally because I cannot risk my family. My family is my life. There are so many family in Texas with epileptic parents. Who are parents like I am, begging them to let us be parents," said Nipper.

She said she can't go back to living life in a daze of prescription pills. She said marijuana has shown her she can be a functioning and involved wife and mom while still dealing with epilepsy. The family will move to Colorado if a bill in Texas is not passed.

"Texas has my heart, but it can't have my life anymore. I am not going to accept a death sentence for epilepsy in Texas," said Nipper.

There are less than three weeks left in Texas' legislative session.

14344.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: A Texas woman wants marijuana to come home | News - Home
Author: Emily Allen
Photo Credit:
Website: KRDO.com | KRDO NewsChannel 13 | Colorado Springs, Pueblo | News | Weather | Sports

Back
Top Bottom