Alien rdwc

Beebs

I'm using an 6 x20l pot alien pro rdwc for the first time and have developed root rot while still in veg.
I'm using a chiller set at 18° and also using a ram humidifier to try and keep humidity at around 50°.
I'm using GHE tri-part nuitrients and silver bullets roots for protection
Question is are there better nuits out there for this particular system that might help in the fight against root rot.
I'm growing in a mammoth G1 tent with 5" input and 6" extraction and a large monkey fan for circulation.
Using 2 4000k CDM lights for veg before switching to 1000w gavita and 1CDM 4000k for flowering.
Temps are around 25° lights on humidity 50%
Any help much appreciated.
And I'm growing grape candy breath.

I wasn't familiar with that Silver Bullet Roots product, and had to do a web-search to learn that it's hydrogen peroxide and some kind of silver ingredient. I also read that it's cheaper than using plain H2O[/sub]. It's too late (here) for me to do math, lol. But I used up to 15 ml of 3% H2O[/sub] for every gallon that I added to my (DWC) reservoirs. I can get two quarts of that for $1.67US. 1,892.7 ml in two US quarts. I did that partly as a preventative, and partly for the oxygen boost. If I had it, I added it; if I didn't have any, I didn't worry about it.

I used the General Hydroponics three-part Flora series for years. Never had a single root issue, no brown slime, nothing. No reservoir chiller, either. So room temperature or perhaps even a tiny bit more. Room temperature was often in the 80s (F), occasionally in the 90s - and, once, for a few days, hotter than that when the air conditioner quit working (topped out at 102°F, but was in the upper 90°F range during the hottest part of the day on each of those days).

I attribute the lack of root zone issues to oxygenation, getting the level of dissolved oxygen as high as I could and keeping it there. I did the usual thing with air pumps and air stones. But I also added one aquarium power head to each reservoir (they were approximately 23-gallon (US) size). Nothing fancy, just cheap ones I bought at the local ChinaMart (Walmart). They were $19.95 then, and (IIRC) the last time I checked, they were up to something like $23.95. An aquarium power head works by drawing liquid up from below and "shooting" it outwards in the reservoir; it gets placed so that it's always submerged. They include a short little air hose with a simple filter material thing that goes on the end. Venturi effect causes a great deak if air to get sucked into the flow.

And that was all I did, other than standard good garden hygiene practices. I didn't let "crap" of any kind fall into the reservoirs. Et cetera. Washed them every one to two weeks, usually (kept spares for a quick change).

Make sure that whatever your setup uses for oxygenating your nutrient solution, that it's in perfect working condition. Keep everything clean and sterile (other than the plant in it, obviously). And consider adding additional aeration devices. I recommend the aquarium power heads, if it's feasible to use them (requires a flat surface to stick it too if you get the cheap kind that mount with a suction cup).

Good luck on correcting your issue. Some root zone pathogens are not easy to eradicate. Prevention is far easier than curing and all that. And I hope you are able to determine both the direct cause and the conditions that made it possible in the first place. It's definitely not going to end up being the three-part nutrients (unless you've somehow contaminated the bottles, I suppose).

Thanks mate, the system comes with very good Jetstream air pump and large air rings in each pot and it's boiling away in each pot, so oxygen shouldn't be the problem.
I can't use any benificial enzymes as silver bullets would just kill them anyway, I'm lead to believe.
I've been using a Wilma with 60/40 with no problems before I decided to upgrade to this alien system as I liked the look of it.
Should have left well alone eh :(

Another question regarding this Alien Rdwc system, do you change out the nuitrients in this system? Reason I'm asking is I've got the 120l camo tank which automatically tops up the system.

My room got to 86 twice in a row. Lost everything to root rot. Cleanliness , bucket temps, cleaning buckets at nute change(never did). This was a 4 dwc bucket grow. Having that alien rdwc woukd make it alot easier. I personally feel ebb and flow is the best hydro. Im just growing for myself and im going to try dirt now. Never did a dirt grow yet. Hydro cuts a week off veg time and you can grow monsters in a tiny bucket but its too much work. I moved one to dirt and smells so much more then the hydro did. Im sure taste will be better too.

Back
Top Bottom