Alternative source of Mylar (BoPET)?

blim

Hi,

I've just finished my second grow and have decided to update my growroom from "flat" white to mylar but was put off by the price, and didn't really want to leave a paper trail.

I work in a hotel that uses "post-mix" solution for their soft drinks (coke, lemonade etc) and I had to change the post mix box as it was empty, and I discovered that the inner lining that holds the concentrate is actually made out of Mylar. When totally empty and cut open to make flat sheets the area is around 13" by 15".

I appreciate it's not the best, but if you have a friend or actually work somewhere that uses this equipment then you can effectively cover your whole room for free.

Re: Alternative source of Mylar (BoPET) ?

Hello again,

Just a quick FYI for anyone who is willing to try this method there are a few points I found when lining my cabinet:-

1)

When you cut the bags into a flat sheet, you will get some residue from the postmix leaking through so you will have to wash the sheets. I found that a dishwash sponge and kitchen spray worked fine.

2)

It is really difficult to get this to stick flat, without creases. I used a aerosol adhesive, marketed for sticking carpet tiles down. I'm not sure if this will create hotspots, but if you are using this method then I would advise to try and "iron" them out, by placing between two flat, heavy objects, or something similar...

3)

Depending on how much postmix the venue uses, you could be waiting a while.. My first post was on 2nd Feb and I am still waiting for empty bags to finish off.. But what can I say? I am really impatient.

Back
Top Bottom