Am I outta luck?

FlyMolo

First off, this will be my first ever grow but I'm the type of person that does not skimp on the details so forgive my ignorance on this. I have decided to go with a dual 600w 240V Lumatek digital ballast to drive 2 600W lights and read that it needs a ground and two hot wires or it will malfunction. That's when I went "What the hell does that mean?" It's also a 240V only model and I live in the US and I'm pretty sure everything here is 120V with the exception of my dryer. Unfortunately, I live in an Apartment comples and the laundry room is communal so growing next to a dryer is out of the question. In my naivety, I actually thought all I had to do was plug a timer into any wall socket, then this ballast into that and presto. Now I know better but I am COMPLETELY CLUELESS where to start. Should I give up?

Re: Am I shit outta luck?

No don't give up.

Growing in an appartment complex is hard due to lack of space and privicy.
Did you buy the balasts knowing they were 240v or was that a surprise? Most stoves and larger appliances use 240v too so you may be able to find another outlet closer to you.

Hope it all works out well. If all isn't well do what I did, move and wait lol. If your going to pay attention to lil things location is a must. So if you think your grow will be rushed or comprimised, WAIT TO GROW.

Hey eBUD, thanks for the encouragement and wise words. Okay so I think I found an outlet next to my water heater...I was thinking about picking this up: 30 Amp Timer Box and using it to drive the lights, fans and pumps (DIY Aero system). What do you think? Also, Do I have to run the exhaust fan 24/7 or just when the lights are on? I think I got the lighting schedule down but I'm unsure about everything else. There a ton of info on how things work on this forum but little info on timing schedules in correlation to the entire grow system. And since I found a single 240V outlet, is there a way I can plug in the control bank without unplugging my water heater? many thanks guys!:peacetwo:

FlyMolo, a 220/240 (l o - or - o -)outlet should look different than a 110/120
(l o l).
Get $2 circuit tester with leads not the plug-in type, you should be able to figure the voltage.

If you have breaker box in the apartment, an electrician should be able to wire up a 240 outlet... tell him it's for an ac unit?

:goodluck:

dont give up, IMO you should go with a cfl type lighting system in your situation, an electrician (like myself) will need the ok from landlord or apt manager to do the work since you dont own it, this could raise a red flag, main thing is to be safe, stick with 120v equipment and you may want to think about an air filter since you have close neighbors, peace!

Check your ballasts. You may be able to rewire them for 120 volts. Just open them up and see if there are wires coming off the transformer that just have wire nuts on them. Most dual tap ballasts have a wiring diagram inside that shows the wiring setup for each voltage. All you have to do then is change the plug on the power cord. It's very straight forward, but if it is more than you feel comfortable with, try to find a friend who has knowledge about these things or take them to an electrical repair shop. Either way, I think you would probably be better off with 120 volt system in your situation.

Thanks a bunch for the info folks! I have found a 220V outlet that is in the perfect position and I have a go ahead from the property manager to do any "minor" work electrical wise. I'm just not sure of the work that needs to be done is in fact minor. I do remember reading somewhere that 220V in the US can drive 240V. Is this true? that 30 amp box I linked to in my previous post has a Dryer cord so wouldn't simply changing the outley to accept it be enough?

Thanks a bunch for the info folks! I have found a 220V outlet that is in the perfect position and I have a go ahead from the property manager to do any "minor" work electrical wise. I'm just not sure of the work that needs to be done is in fact minor. I do remember reading somewhere that 220V in the US can drive 240V. Is this true? that 30 amp box I linked to in my previous post has a Dryer cord so wouldn't simply changing the outley to accept it be enough?

240v is accually the correct term, wht was that recepticle for?, what size breaker is it on in the panel?, if its on at least a 30 amp breaker you should be fine with replacing the recepticle to match the cord, have someone who knows what they are doing change it for you

Believe it or not, the spot that I found the outlet was right next to my parking space in a two car garage above my unit. I'm the only one who parks there so privacy should be ok. I'm tucking the room in a pocket away from the view of the average walker-by passing by the garage when the door is opened. It's labeled "car charger". Anyone know if electric car chargers have a standard amperage in the US?

One other thing you may need to take into consideration is whether it's set up for UK or US voltage. I know people need adapters for running US appliances in Europe, though I don't know what the actual difference is. I Googled the manufacturer, and it is based in the UK. You may want to drop them an e-mail to their technical support department before you plug them in. Here's the web address.

lumatek - Home

Back
Top Bottom