Which Ballast would you buy?

Lemon Paradise

Hi everyone.
I am looking at getting a new light and was looking at a 600W setup.

The local store has several kits avail.. I was looking at three electronic ballast setups, one from each different ballast vendor..

1. Lumatek 600 watt Dimmable HPS Electronic Ballast 120/240v, a LumenAire 6 Horizontal Reflector with socket assembly and a Ushio HiLUX GRO 600 watt Super HPS Bulb. 399.95

2. This complete grow light features a CAP NextGen 600 watt HPS Electronic Ballast 120/240v, a LumenAire 6 Horizontal Reflector with socket assembly and a Ushio HiLUX GRO 600 watt Super HPS Bulb. 399.95

3. This complete grow light features a Quantum 600 watt HPS Electronic Ballast 120/240v, a LumenAire 6 Horizontal Reflector with socket assembly and a Ushio HiLUX GRO 600 watt Super HPS Bulb. 409.95

they also have 2 magnetic ballast setups..
value-line
This complete grow light features a C.A.P. ValuLine 600 watt HPS Ballast, a C.A.P. LumeWing Reflector with socket assembly and a SunMaster 600 watt HPS Deluxe Bulb. 249.95

and extreme

This complete grow light features a C.A.P. Xtreme 600 watt HPS Ballast, a C.A.P. LumeSun Reflector with socket assembly and a SunMaster 600 watt HPS Deluxe Bulb. 329.95

I only have a 150 watt sunmaster system now and am looking to upgrade (gonna get a 150 watt MH bulb for it and run it as my veg light).
I like the lectronic ballast since you can run them at a lower watt and ramp up as needed

So.. if it were you getting a new light, based on the above. which would you choose,, and why?

Thank you everyone for your input. :thanks:

I purchased the Quantum 600 watt HPS a few weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to really use it yet. But I powered it on with my 600w hps for an hour, just to get a feel of the heat that I'm going to have to deal with in my tent. The fan isn't too loud and it's got a dimmable knob that I plan on using for the first week of flowering; as to not shock the plants. But from what I can see, it's a pretty decent ballast. I use the Quantum Badboy t5's for veg and am really happy with that product, that's one of the reasons for my purchase.

I love the new "dimmable" Lumatek ballasts.

They aren't dimmable in the sense that you can dim a 600w down to 400w, but they will run a 400w bulb at the same energy consumption as a 400w ballast would.

I guess the Quantum dimmables allow you to actually dim a bulb down to lower watts, but they still use the same energy, so that is much less useful IMO.

I'd rather swap a bulb out and save on energy than dim a bulb down and have no energy savings.

The Lumateks also give you the "super lumens" option with HPS bulbs (not MH) that increases light output by 10%. That's also a plus.

I think they have worked out the incompatibility issues with Hortilux bulbs on their new ballasts, but if you're set on Hortilux, check it out first.

Ushio bulbs are newer technology than Hortilux and run just fine on Lumatek.

I also like to avoid moving parts if possible, so I prefer to not have fans.

first off, thank you both for your input. +reps for all

SS.. your info is always helpful.. :thanks:

I love the new "dimmable" Lumatek ballasts.

They aren't dimmable in the sense that you can dim a 600w down to 400w, but they will run a 400w bulb at the same energy consumption as a 400w ballast would.

I guess the Quantum dimmables allow you to actually dim a bulb down to lower watts, but they still use the same energy, so that is much less useful IMO.

I'd rather swap a bulb out and save on energy than dim a bulb down and have no energy savings.

Wow, thanks, I never knew that. I thought all the electronic 'dimable' ballast allowed to run a higher watt bulb at a lower rate,, not a lower watt bulb.. and I assumed that if the 600w bulb was running at 400w, then it used 400w,, I did not realize that it used the same electricity.. is that right?

The Lumateks also give you the "super lumens" option with HPS bulbs (not MH) that increases light output by 10%. That's also a plus.

I think they have worked out the incompatibility issues with Hortilux bulbs on their new ballasts, but if you're set on Hortilux, check it out first.

thanks again, I will look into that as well.

Ushio bulbs are newer technology than Hortilux and run just fine on Lumatek.

the site has the ushio bulbs for less than the hortilux. I assumed the ushio was a el cheapo.. hehe since I had not heard of it, and the hortilux was more expensive... goes to show that the more expensive is not always the best..

I also like to avoid moving parts if possible, so I prefer to not have fans.

is the quantum the only one with the fan?
and has anyone haerd anything, or used the nexgen ballast?

I think I am now leaning toward the lumatek w/ the ushio bulb but IDK, I still have a week before my new room is built.. (I have some pics, and will prob start a thread in the diy forum.. as soon as I can verify that blackberry phones do not put gps data on the pics like iphones do)

thanks guys!!

I checked it out, and it looks like I am probably gonna go with the Lumatek. No fnas, less noise (although noise will not be an issue since it is not in me bedroom..lol)

I am a computer tech, so I see fans die all the time,,, I have enough spares that I am sure I could swap them out if needed..... but why have another part to worry about..

I guess the only thing that would concern me is the heat on the lumatek if it does not have a fan, would that shorten the life of the unit, since the internal components would get hotter?

IDK.. but based on others reviews, Quantum is very good... but it seems the Lumatek is liked more, and it seems no one has an opinion on the nexgen's..

Thanks again.. I think I will go with the Lumatek w/ the ushio bulb, save a few bucks so I can get more nutes..

I think you'll be fine with the Lumatek/Ushio combo.

The Lumatek ballasts seem to do just fine without fans. Install it remotely where it can radiate heat freely and should be OK.

I love my Lumatek and Galaxy ballasts. I've run lots of different bulbs with them and have had no problems. I have the following:

Lumatek 400w "dimmable"
Lumatek 250w

Galaxy 400w
Galaxy 150w X2

I love being able to run 250w and 400w bulbs with just one ballast, and the "super lumens" option is a nice bonus.

I have a power meter and checked my Lumatek 400w running at 250w, and it runs at 265w versus my Lumatek 250w ballast which runs at 269w.

I still like my old skool 400w magnetic ballast for several reasons.

I can run a CMH bulb in the magnetic HPS ballast. Can't do that in a digi that I'm aware of. Looking for another one so I can swap out my 400w MH.

If something should burn out, parts are available locally and I can be up and running again in a few hours, rather than having to ship the ballast off for repairs.

No visits from the cable co due to RF interference from a poorly shielded digi ballast. Not all do this for sure, but it is a far from isolated occurrence and my biggest objection.

DD

There's a couple of digital ballasts out now that will run CMH bulbs, but they're expensive.

What we need are CMH bulbs designed to run on digital.

The older digital ballasts, especially the Lumateks, weren't shielded well and caused RF problems. I haven't had any RF interference issues with any of my digitals.

I haven't had any problems with anything burning out, but I have backup in case that happens.

I need to run a power usage test on my old 400w MH magnetic to see how much it draws compared to the digis.

Maybe tonight and I'll report back.

i found a 600w. elec.quantum ballest with an arcticsun air cooled reflector an a hps bulb for 299.oo at ultra lo hydro.com i havnt purchased but thought it was a pretty good deal.

just an update...
I ended up getting the lumatek 600w digital ballast.. couldn't afford the air cooled reflector so I got the el cheapo lumawing.. that way I could spring for the better bulb (ushio hilux gro, instead of the eiko) and got a 6" 435cfm fan...

thanks everyone

I heard some good things too about the Lumatek bulbs...
but one step at a time.. :)

once I get the room going,, (hopefully my baby will be moved intp her new home within the next couple of days.. ) I'll definately post pics to update.

Also been hearing good things about Lumatek's own line of bulbs they recently came out with.

I also noticed that they are now marketing their own brand of bulbs. They might simply be re-badged bulbs from another manufacturer but I have been told they're actually a Lumatek product.

I have read that they also now have Lumatek brand hoods. So one could have a complete Lumatek setup.

I have been hoping to see both products used in a grow journal here. And I wouldn't mind seeing some side-by-side grows with their bulb against the Ushio.

I know it's a bit late in the conversation but IMO, the digital NextGen 600's are the bomb diggity. Cool, quiet, and quick on the firing.:thumb:

I also noticed that they are now marketing their own brand of bulbs. They might simply be re-badged bulbs from another manufacturer but I have been told they're actually a Lumatek product.

I have read that they also now have Lumatek brand hoods. So one could have a complete Lumatek setup.

I have been hoping to see both products used in a grow journal here. And I wouldn't mind seeing some side-by-side grows with their bulb against the Ushio.

Don't quote me, but I believe I read somewhere that they are having Ushio make their bulbs, but to their spec.

Haven't seen their hood, but I'll certainly check that out.

One very trusted and experienced grower friend of mine reported that just subjectively, the Lumatek-branded bulb seemed very bright.

I wish more people had light meters, they're not expensive these days, even decent digital ones.

I'd really like to see a CMH vs MH/HPS comparison, or do one myself. Have you checked out Propagator's grow?

Problem with current CMH bulbs in higher wattages is that they aren't compatible with digital ballasts, and I'm probably not going to fire up my old buzz box to run one.

Back
Top Bottom