Amsterdam - I have returned

Thepurplem0nkey

Well, I made it back home Saturday night and had a great time in Paris and Amsterdam. Ill have some pics posted sometime this week. I've been very busy at work so I havent had time to sort through them all. Some intersting things though:
1. I smoke medical marijauna daily. I can say with certainty that the plants I bought in Amsterdam, ALL of them cannabis cup winners from their respective shops, were on par or at best, SLIGHTLY better than the medical strains I buy here in the states. This was surprising. The last couple of times I went I was NOT a medcial MJ patiente, so I had no basis for comparison, except what I bought on the street which was of course blown away by Amsterdam plants. BUt medical chronic is no less potent that 99% f thje strains I tried in Amsterdam, all from quality clubs that are well known and cup winners.

2. The medical hash in the states DOES NOT compare with Amsterdam hash. The quality AND selection of Amsterdam is MUCH BETTER, hash wise, than what I buy in the states. Dont get me wrong, there is GOOD MEDICAL HASH out there. But ALL of the hash in Amsterdam is mind numbing, and the best quality is extremely affordable, unlike here where the top notch quality is very expensive. My favorite, as always, was their morocon hash. SOOOO GOOD!

3. I must have spent 99% of my time in the coffeeshops in my previous visits to Amsterdam. This time, I spent about 30% of my time in the coffeeshops. Stopping in every few hours to "refresh" myself while touring the city, and going to barneys Coffeeshop for breakfast every other morning is basiclay how I did things. I think this is due to my medical marijuana status. It's not even a hasstle for me to go to the club and buy a half ounce or ounce of quality plant. Unlike in the past, when I did not have such access, Amsterdam was like candy land. I could actualy GO INTO A SHOP AND BUY UP TO 5 GRAMS OF CHEEBA!! WOW! Now, its more of a hasstle that i can ONLY buy 5 grams, because in the states I can buy up to 8 ounces. What I'm saying is, the novelty has worn off. WHen you can actualy buy good stuff on a daily basis at home, being able to buy the same stuff, but in lower quantities, in another country isnt that big of a deal. I think i bought more hash than plant during this stay.

4. The novelty of eating certain types of fungus has also worn off. I dunno if I'm just getting older or what, but I no longer ENJOY the demands eating such fungus puts on your body and mind, and I find myself more trying to control the experience and anticiapte its ending rather than go buckwild crazy like I used to. Whats odd is these certain types of fungus are MORE LEGAL in Amsterdam than marijauna. Fungus are considered herbs, regadless of what ingredients or psychottropic qualities such items may posess. Marijuana is merely TOLERATED, not legal (A comon misconception).

So, did I have a good time? Y E S! And I will visit Amsterdam AGAIN the next time I am in Europe. The city is absolutely beautiful, and it CAN be completely explored in 5 days or less. I saw Van GOgh paintings that i literaly could get within a nose's distance of. I saw REmbrandt paintings that I could lick if I wanted. I saw Monet's as well. I saw the Anne Frank house, which STILL makes me teary eyed no matter how hard I try not to. I ate all kinds of food I have never had in the states; Indian, Indonesian, Dutch, MIddle Eastern, Greek, Argentinian.....the list go's on. I saw some AMAZING architechture, met some awesome people, and of course, enjoyed the liberal viewpoint of the city, including its wonderful coffeeshops and smart shops. Its just funny how time and circumstances change a person. In the past, my priority would have BEEN the coffeeshops and smart shops....but now its the historical, cultural, and THEN liberal side that attract me. DOnt get me wrong, I was medicated the whole time I was there....I just wasnt spending all of my time in a coffeeshop.
Paris was fantastic as well. Standing in front of the Eifel Tower for new years....words can't express how that feels so I wont even bother trying. Let's just say that its an amazing feeling and if you have the oppertunity, you aught to do it. I was never ONCE treated rudely by any Parisian. I have been to paris about 5 times now, and this has ALWAYS been the case. I get treated rudely by more people IN MY OWN CITY, then I ever have in Paris. I think thats a complete stereotype and you have to be a complete moron to judge an entire people off of the rude treatment by some of it's inhabitants. I've been rude to people before, I certainly hope no one judges all of California, or America, on MY actions. Im mentioning this because so many people told me I was going to get treated rudely and that the French hate Americans...even though most of these people had never even BEEN to France, while I have been there multiple times. I'm here to tell you that's simply NOT TRUE. Sure, you may get treated rudely if you walk up to someone and begin talking in a foreign language, while at the same time forgoing the bnasic plliteness of that culture (such as saying hello to a shop keeper as soon as you enter), but really, thats YOU being an ignorant, uneducated person who netiher took the time to ask politely if a person would speak English to you nor took the time to learn the basic politeness of a foreign culture, and quite frankly, you deserve to be treated rudely. If some mexican dude came up and started talking to me rapidly in Spanish and got real close to me and began touching me while he spoke, which (for the sake of argument. Mexicans dont really hae thuis cultural custom as far as I know) is common in Mexican culture but NOT American, wouldnt you be a little annoyed???? The only other time I heard of a fellow traveler being treated rudely was when he went itno a fancy French restauraunt and did not order wine with his dinner. But again, this was his own fault....ir's practicaly a LAW in France that you order wine with your meal in a fancy french joint. ABout 2 minutes of internet research on cultural customs of France would have been more than enough to prevent such an incident, as I knew this and have NEVER eaten at a high class french restauraunt.
Anyway, Paris was amazing. 5 days isnt even enogh to scratch the surface of the city, but if anyone gets a chance, please dont listen to the fools who reduce an entire country into a stereotyped generalization due to possible mistreatment from a few people. If they were mistreated by a lot of people, chances are they were the problem, not the french people.
-PM

Thepurplem0nkey said:
Fungus are considered herbs, regadless of what ingredients or psychottropic qualities such items may posess. Marijuana is merely TOLERATED, not legal (A comon misconception).

Marijuana isn't legal in Amsterdam? What exactly is it that allows the Dutch to sell it legally in stores?

Welcome back PM. I can't wait to see those pictures.

Wow PM you're so lucky ! I'd love to visit Amsterdam . I've heard about all the art and museums . And also about all the friendly people too . Someday I'll get there . Did you check out the red-light district ? I've heard it really rocks bro . :headbanger: :peace:

Marijuana isn't legal in Amsterdam? What exactly is it that allows the Dutch to sell it legally in stores?
No, marijuana is not legal in Amsterdam. It is, however, tolerated by the authorities as long as posession falls under 5 grams. I'm certainly no expert on Dutch law, so I'm sure there's a more detailed answer than that, but thats the laymans explination :) If you do some research on the internet, you should find some more detailed explinations of what I am talking about. BUt bottom line, marijuana is not "legal" in Amsterdam.
What package do you take to Amsterdam? I'd love to start planning a trip but I'd like to see some air/hostel packages. Any ideas man?
I've never travled in a package, or group (like Contiki Tours). I love planning my trips by myself, and every single time, I can go longer, farther, and stay at more places for WAY cheaper than the traevl packages or structured tours advertise at. SO I recomend you look into planning your own trip. Also, think of why will you be traveling to Europe. If you take a tour, you will be with Americans, you will be blamed for THEIR actions abnd rudeness, even fi you aern being rude, and you will most likely not meet anyone outside your group bedcause there is safety in hanging oiyut with people you know. It seems a lot of money to pay to have a structured tour with your fellow countrymen, and not very adventerous in my opinion. I much prefer to plan my own travel. I always stay at hostels, or occasinaly hotels, that I have researched and know will meet my needs. In a tour, you stay where they put you. When on a tour you are limited in time and travel options. SO, if you are on a bus tour, you are stuck sitting on a bus from Paris to Italy.....instead of taking the much faster and more comfortable train....or even better, paying for a cheap airplane ticket. Tours are extremely limiting in what and when you can do things. When you traevl yourself, if you devcide, for example, that you just LOVE Amsterdam, and you want to spend another 2 days there....YOU CAN. If you met some hot Swiss babes who aer heading over to Austria for a few days and they invite you to join them....YOU ACN. You;re not held to anyone elses schedule. Also, when traevling by yourself or with a friend, you will always meet new people from all over the world. Usualy, they have great tips on places to go and stay at, and if you are on a structured, organized tour, you dont have the option of checking those places out. It is very difficult to meet new people when you are in a large group. Indivduals will seek out new friends because they get lonely. Big groups ar intimidating to others, and provide safety within the group which does NOT force you to meet new, interesting people from around the world. But hey, we are all different and some people prefer that type of structure, so Contiki or other groups like that may be soemthing that is suited for you. Here is a quick break down of prices that I paid (tax included).
Airplaine Ticket, multi city: LAX - CDG (Paris), then AMS (AMsterdam) to LAX.
COST: 790 DOllars (United AIrlines)

Paris HOstel (ALoha HOstel): WIthin a mile of the Eifel tower, has its own kitchen, the rooms were neat, it was a great place to stay. Some people bitch about being locked out of their rooms from 11:00am - 5:00pm, but MOST European hostels have that type of lockout. You shoud NOT BE SITTING IN YOUR ROOM while traevling through Europe, you should be out exploring Europe. If you want to sit in a room all day, rent a hotel room....you may as well since you're wasting your money in Europe anyway ;-) ANyway, the cost of that was about 22 bucks a night, for 4 nights, so about 88 bucks.

Train Ticket from Paris to Amsterdam: 90 bucks (Make sure you get the 25 and under one, you can purchase your tickets online. My buddy is over 25 and bought an under 25 ticket online before we left. It saved him over 100 bucks and no one ever checked. Now, if you are obviousley over 25, you might be SOL).

Hostel stay in Amsterdam: VOndelpark Hostel is the nicest, Flying Pig is also nice but definately more for party people. Both hostels feature individual toilets and showers in each room, which is virtualy unheard of in a European hostel. VOndelpark is cleaner, in my humble opinion, but i had a blast at both places. He amin difference is VOndelpark is super nice, practicaly a hotel....but they dnot allow smoking (anything) in the building. Flying pig all but requests you to smoke. I always covered the fire alarm in my room at VOndelpark with a ziplock bag and never had a problem smoking, but if you dont want to risk it, Flying Pig is the way to go. Both hostels run about 22 bucks a night.

After those expenses, which come out to what, about $1,200 - $1,300, everything else is extra. Cheese, whine, and bread in Paris cost under 5 bucks for the entire meal. And that can be shared with friends too. Being able to cook your own food at a hostel will save you LOADS on money, as eating out in Europe is VERY EXPENSIVE. If you can save 2 grand, you can have a kick ass time in Europe for about 10 days to 2 weeks, depending on how thrifty you wish to be.

Did you check out the red-light district ? I've heard it really rocks bro .
I visit the Red light district every time I go :) It's definately not what I, or most people, expect. Most of the women are F A R from what I would call attractive. MOst look very worn down and tired, like they have had a hard life. Now, I only visit the district during the day (it is much to unsafe to visit at night. Every trip I have been on, I have PERSONALY met someone who was robbed at knife point in that district during evening hours), so it could be that the more attractive ladies come out during those hours. But, generaly speaking, the RLD is a pretty scummy area, even during the day. I was traveling with two other couples, and the men I was traveling with were quite capable of taking care of themselevs....but even THEY were feeling cautious while walking around that area, during the day. However, its something you should see while over there (do NOT take pictures, or your camera will, in all liklihood, be smashed. The mob runs the RLD and they protect their women who do NOT want to be exposed by cameras, as they have regular jobs as well. SO be warned :) )

User, I SO want to hit up Asia. I think my first stop will be Bangkok, but I really want to see Japan as well. I have heard Japan is inctredibly expensive to visit though, hence my desire to visit Bangkok first.

I will have pics up by the week's end, I hope. Im soooo busy at work catching up and by the tie I get home I just want to go to bed so I haevnt had a chance to sort and crop my photos. SOON!
-PM

Pictures...

My appologies, I have just been swamped with work, school, and life. I havent had a chance to post my pics. I didnt atke a SINGLE photo of the marijauan this time around, simply beause once you are a medical user, thgese tings arent as exciting as they once were. However, I have plenty of photos from previous trips of weed, as well as some pics of the archtecture and just plain ol beauty of Amsterdam that I will try to post as soon as I am capable.
-PM

Back
Top Bottom