Ants in my Plants

radilasna420

Ants are getting my girl. It may be a tad early, but if I wait, they'll do more damage. She's small enough to dunk in a bucket of water. Would that be a good thing to do?

Re: Ants in my P*ants

I used a solution of washin powder (surf - blue) about a teaspoon of powder to 1 litre or so and thoroughly washed my plant with it. It killed all the ants in the pot and I have'nt seen one since. Apparently helps with mites too but it definately works for ants (white and black). Then after a day or two you and hose down the plant so it is super clean! :grinjoint:

Thanks, badbradblu,

I have liquid detergent. Guessing 1/4 tsp would equal 1 tsp of powder. And I just spray it all over her or what?

What would you do? I am even losing hibiscus to ants. My girl Alice is small, only 2 large flower stalks and a few small. Hardly any fan leaves. Would a non-toxic insect spray be okay?

Thanks, badbradblu,

I have liquid detergent. Guessing 1/4 tsp would equal 1 tsp of powder. And I just spray it all over her or what?

Well... I am not sure about the liquid as I have'nt tried it - an old farmer lady told me to do this with the powder (as we dont get neem oil readily here) and it really works!
I first sprayed it on, then used an old, soft toothbrush to rub off anything unwanted, left it overnight - hosed it down in the morning and the day after. I also poured some into the soil as that is where they were hiding and it got rid of the ones in the soil too.

I don't know what neem oil is, or where to get it.

I've heard of spraying soapy water on garden plants.

I had almost decided to keep her indoors and harvest in a few days, but now with my handy-dandy Radio Shack scope, I see very few amber tricks. Now I think maybe she needs longer than that. I don't want an "anxiety high". Don't know what I'd do without y'all's help.

Hey - potasium permanganate works really well for this. recently it has got really hot here and these tiny black ants have come out in full force. That washing powder method failed for these incredibly tough little blighters and they all crawl onto you and bite like hell! I tried increasing the strenght of the solution and burned my plants slightly(beware)! I was at a loss when I tried potasium permanganate and they have steered clear of the area.

hmmm... i found "tons" of ants in the soil. Did not even see any ants until i tried to loose top soil layer with a stick. Than hundreds of little black ants came crawling out. Also plant seems to be slowed in growth.
What should i use to water the soil with , so that ants go away and it does not hurt the plant? Plant is in a big round pot.

Funny, but i checked around for any ants before placing it there, heh.
Really admire these little persistent strong working animals , just not in my weed pot :p

I m thinking to put some bait stations around like FloridaBud already suggested, but still need something to water the soil with and make em go out of the pot.

Any suggestions for some mix that wont hurt the plant ?
Some lime probably would make em go out but ph does not allow me to do that at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom