Any advice?

VegasGrown420

Hello everyone,
I am just starting out. I've done months of research and even did a practice round, (which is still in process of blooming and doing excellent)
However this time around i wanted to take a different route. Instead of potting or gardening soil, I went to my backyard to collect some dirt. (it used to be a wetlands before the houses) I have 4 beautiful plants starting out their journey. So my question is how long should i keep them in the vegg stage? 3 of them are already about and inch high they've been going on 24hr lights for about a week. My 4th one just broke out of the ground last night. Any advice would be appreciated and very helpful.

~ VegasGrown420

How big do you want your ladies to grow? That is the question you should ask first, because this will determine your veg time. Also do you know the strain?

I also need to mention that taking dirt from outdoors to indoors is usually something I wouldn't do. More often than not, you end up with unwanted pests that aren't fun to deal with.

Just get back with the answers to the questions I asked and we can take it from there.

I'm closet growing so I'm thinking that they can't grow too tall. However with that being said I DO want to get the most yield off my ladies. As far as the strain goes, all I can tell you its a bag seed from stress.

I also forgot to mention that I want to grow Organically. Which is the main reason I took dirt from outside.

Gotcha bro. Well you have some options. If you want to just grow the plant the way she naturally grows, then you need to measure how much space you have between the top of your pot to the highest you can get your light. Your plant, depending on the strain, will double or triple in height during flower. So you want to veg your baby to about half the size you want her to be fully matured. BUT, if you want to maximize yield, I suggest you try some pruning techniques such as LST (Low Stress Training) or SuperCropping. These pruning methods will give you control over the way your baby grows, and you will get nice little bushes. Currently, I have a girls that stands only about 5-6 inches tall. But with LST, shes a bush with about 11 tops that could become colas.

Basically, with LST, you tie your plant down to promote the side branches to grow upward. Then you tie those branches down to try and keep an even canopy. So instead of a plant with one main cola getting a lot of light and a bunch of little pop corn buds underneath getting very little light, you have all the viable bud sites getting equal amounts of light. This in turn produces a larger overall yield.

Sorry if I am rambling, it's tough to explain. If you want to check out some pics, take a look in my journal. I am just tryin LST for the first time with great results in branch development.

Good luck pal!

outside soil can also benefit the plants as well,

the problem with store bought soil is it doesnt have the microorganisms and such that are actually very beneficial to mj plant....but at the same time like smokey said there could also be unwanted pests as well

and he is basically saying if you have limited space then the earlier you enduce flowring the shorter the finished product will be(ideal for closets or growbox)....if you have a whole grow room to work with (not a closet or growbox) then you can veg anywhere from a week - a month and even longer, that factor is solely dependant on what your aiming to do with the plants....

With my practice round i used store bought soil and mixed in some perlite. which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but they are very skinny and kind of looks naked. LOL
I want to avoid that this time if I can.

VegasGrown420

lol sorry for the late post, when i posted that the 3 last messages were not even there then i refresh the page and SHAZAAM!!! im already way behind

Anyway LST or SCROG is definately the best way to optimize yield when dealing with limited space...you cannot go wrong

LST will definitely help with that. On my current grow, I waited until they were about 5" or 6" tall then started bending. This way, the stem is nice and pliable and you don't risk breakage as much. You can also make sure your fan doesn't shake the plants to keep the stems weak, to help with bending.

Scrog is "screen of green", basically you place a horizontal screen over your plants and train the branches to grow along this screen, never going above it, until you flower. This will give you a blanket of buds because the light is concentrated on the most important part of the plant. Better with clones, because if you do this with a couple plants and one ends up male, you can't get it out.

LST is "Low Stress Training", which is similar to scrog but you tie the branches with string or twine to create the even canopy.

Oh okay I've seen SCROG before.. just never knew what it was called.

Can LST can be used for the whole grow cycle? And do you need to rotate the way the branches are? Sorry for all the questions..

with my previous scrog exp, after i top the plant and more main branches develop (unlike lst) instead of tying down from one direction then tying to pull from another , i pretty much just tied down the branches to where they are growing completely horizontal until i reach desired size 3-4 feet around(massive bush), then i let it grow vertically, ended up getting 12 oz dry off 1, 16oz dry off another and 2 more with about 10-11oz dry, all done with 2 400w hps

although i had to veg just a lil longer than desired, it is totally worth it

sorry for double posting,

but with scrog you have an even canopy of buds instead of a plant that has one main cola close to the light and a bunch of lower buds fighting to get light....this enables you to have the light much closer which in return gives an even amount of light to all the buds which will all be very similar in size....so instead of having one nice huge bud and a bunch of tiny "popcorn" buds....you have a bunch of large buds therefore dramatically increasing yield

Do you make this SCROG or do you buy it?
When would/could you start this process?
Now lets say I do go the SCROG route and later on find out I have a male plant, would this essentially ruin the other plants?

with my previous scrog exp, after i top the plant and more main branches develop (unlike lst) instead of tying down from one direction then tying to pull from another , i pretty much just tied down the branches to where they are growing completely horizontal until i reach desired size 3-4 feet around(massive bush), then i let it grow vertically, ended up getting 12 oz dry off 1, 16oz dry off another and 2 more with about 10-11oz dry, all done with 2 400w hps

although i had to veg just a lil longer than desired, it is totally worth it

Now that is what I'm talkin about Upinsmoke! I can't wait to get setup with a veg room so I can clone and switch to SCROG. And I also topped and LST'd. Just like you said, more branches!

Do you make this SCROG or do you buy it?
When would/could you start this process?
Now lets say I do go the SCROG route and later on find out I have a male plant, would this essentially ruin the other plants?

I wouldn't say ruin, but the overall quality is diminished because energy is spent making seeds and not making buds.

Hmm.. would cutting out the male be possible?
and when you were done with the vegg.. what light pattern did you decided on?

Back
Top Bottom