Anyone doing SPD?

zeroday

I'm looking to get started and am looking for a vacuum pump and chiller. I'm hoping I don't have to drop 2k on a Welch1400 (seems to be what everyone uses). I'd think I could get away with something much cheaper.

Also looking for chiller recommendations.

Thx!

Yikes! You may be able to make one from a vehicle's vacuum pump for a lot less. I don't know if the vacuum will be sufficient for your purposes, but it's worth looking into.

Thanks @Old Salt. I looked into it. To get the level of vacuum I need, it looks like the only realistic way to do it is with a decent pump. I found a few different brands that go for $2k brand new (Welch, Edwards, Alcatel). Used on ebay, rebuilt, they sell anywhere from $300 to $1500, depending on condition and if they have been rebuilt recently or not. I found a pump for $350, and bought the rebuild kit for $600. I'll do the rebuild myself, with the (free) assistance of a relative who is much more mechanical than I.

Next, I'm researching the proper recirculating heat bath pump to go with. Looks like used on ebay is going to be the way to go. just need a model.

Then the rest of the goodies. Shooting to be up and running for a week vacation at Thanksgiving.

Back
Top Bottom