Looking For Expertise: Chiller Reservoir Issues

I did some research on this. They are basically doing the same thing. It looks like they use a stainless steel wort chiller in each reservoir.
I want to take it a step further, mainly because the chiller evaporator. Instead of a chiller loop coil, mine in rated at 5 tons, is a brazed plate coil with a footprint of about 4"×12"×4" and it doesn't even need to be in the reservoir.
The ones for the chiller loop replacement are about 75 bucks each, and have 4 1/2" nipples for easy connection. I'm gonna get one and compare it against the 1/2" loops we are running. If the improvement is notable, I may do all reservoirs with brazed plate chillers.
Hi..so how's the system going? I'm eager to hear the good, the bad & the ugly of your system. I'm about to buy my stainless coils for my 4 Rez for the 12 site RDWC systems. Did you build your manifold that disperses the chilled water? Also, what size PVC do you think works best? 1/2 inch? Thanks.

Hi..so how's the system going? I'm eager to hear the good, the bad & the ugly of your system. I'm about to buy my stainless coils for my 4 Rez for the 12 site RDWC systems. Did you build your manifold that disperses the chilled water? Also, what size PVC do you think works best? 1/2 inch? Thanks.

The "Happy Chiller" is purring along like a well oiled machine. I maintain all the reservoirs @67 degrees. To achieve this, I set the Hapoy Chiller to maintain between 63 and 64 degrees on the 175 gallon reservoir, so I'm only losing 3 to 4 degrees in the entire double loop, and the Chiller only needs to run about three cycles an hr to maintain the entire system.

The 1 inch lines were killing you before you upgraded res. And the separate 4 res’s. Are your lights at 100 percent running that temp if you posted I tldr’d

The 1 inch lines were killing you before you upgraded res. And the separate 4 res’s. Are your lights at 100 percent running that temp if you posted I tldr’d
No. The lights aren't kicked all the way up yet. I have no doubt the reservoir issue is not only taken care, but will allow me to drive the 4 reservoirs into the 50's.
Humidity issues are the biggest concern now.

The "Happy Chiller" is purring along like a well oiled machine. I maintain all the reservoirs @67 degrees. To achieve this, I set the Hapoy Chiller to maintain between 63 and 64 degrees on the 175 gallon reservoir, so I'm only losing 3 to 4 degrees in the entire double loop, and the Chiller only needs to run about three cycles an hr to maintain the entire system.
I just picked up (2) 1/10 hp active aqua chillers for $100 each. I couldn't turn that deal down. They weren't in my master plan, but the deal landed in my lap,,so now I'm thinking of using one with a coil, to cool the Rez in my 12 rdwc set ups.

No. The lights aren't kicked all the way up yet. I have no doubt the reservoir issue is not only taken care, but will allow me to drive the 4 reservoirs into the 50's.
Humidity issues are the biggest concern now.
Rt on
I need to re read about your set up. You're not using 1/2 inch PVC anymore to your rez's?

Rt on
I need to re read about your set up. You're not using 1/2 inch PVC anymore to your rez's?
I ran 1 inch lines into the flower room. From there they hit a manifold that reduces to 1/2" going to the reservoir coils, out in 1/2" then back into a 1 inch return

Rt on. I'm designing mine...Check out his manifolds.
Ha! Pretty cool. His cooling coils look a little small but hey, if it works!
That Co2 generator is pretty cool as well. I wish he'd have went into his chiller a bit, for reference purposes. I do know the light coolers really work-we have a few. With LED it isn't an option....yet.
If your gonna run HPS, and in a tent you cant go wrong cooling them, that's for sure.
Also, what a great ideal using city water to cool the reservoirs in an emergency situation.
You may see me implement that idea into our grow. Bravo!

Ha! Pretty cool. His cooling coils look a little small but hey, if it works!
That Co2 generator is pretty cool as well. I wish he'd have went into his chiller a bit, for reference purposes. I do know the light coolers really work-we have a few. With LED it isn't an option....yet.
If your gonna run HPS, and in a tent you cant go wrong cooling them, that's for sure.
Also, what a great ideal using city water to cool the reservoirs in an emergency situation.
You may see me implement that idea into our grow. Bravo!

Cool.

Here's part 2.

I'm going to be ordering my 4 stainless coils from Amazon this week. Shit's getting real in my world financial wise. This better work. Lol

Back
Top Bottom