Water chiller leaving water on floor under it: condensation?

sativuhhh

Hi all, got a new/user 1/4hp activeaqua chiller for my new undercurrent system I've been building. Did a good full water tight test and used water from the hose in the system which was pretty hot, once the system was filled up it was 85 degree water. Ran the chiller and pump for a few hours and it did bring it down to 68 degrees. I did also notice some water on the ground under the chiller. Maybe 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of water. Ran the pump all night with water flowing thru the chiller but with it off and there were not more leaks so I don't think it's an internal leak.

Anyone else get condensation dripping from their chillers? Once it's really up and running it shouldn't have to ever work quite so hard to cool things down. Do I pull it apart and try to look for a problem or is this just normal?

Yes! Not from the chillers themselves but from the tubing. The more hot and humid the area is, the more condensation will form. I run 2, 1/10hp chillers and when they do that, I just put a towel near it to soak up any drips.
That said, if you dont see condensation on the tubing but see a puddle under the chiller, then its either an internal leak or a leak on the connections.

Ok that's good to know, thanks! Assuming you mean the tubing inside? I think I'm probably good on the leaks then since it's ok when off and water is just getting pumped thru. I have it on a mini-4wheel dolly so I should be able to just put a little catch tray under it if it comes back.
That was for sure a pretty hot and humid torture test it wouldn't normally have to deal with and during normal conditions hopefully will run dry.

Back
Top Bottom