Anyone here uses a UV sterilizer in the res?

Android

I spotted this one at PetsFart- looks like a steal for $50
Anyone wants to share their experience... Is this the real deal that would end the algae problem on a pure-chem setup?

UV_sterilizer.jpg

My fishes in the fish tank will be jealous for sure

So did you buy one ??

yeah more info on this would be nice. i dont think you would want to use this durring your feedings esp if you run organics. if you are purely synthetic however i dont think it would do any harm.

Keep us posted on how this works for you !! Thanks.

At first it failed (too small, slime on roots, situation got worse.)
I did some changes, but was skeptical they would work, so I was about to purchase a 32W model.
I changed the catch can to a much smaller one, rinsed all the roots in a bucket, and used iodine and pond clear together with this technique. Now I only sea dead algae on the bottom, the water is clear at last!

A piece of advice - if you buy a UV sterilizer, get a 32 watter on ebay with free pump included instead. It was only $20 more expensive, but must be much more powerful

Now that you have it under control, do you feel like this will work as an ongoing solution to algae ?

Update- So far so good. Can't be happier about this little sterilizer.
I think the secret behind its success is this - there is only maybe one gallon of water (at the lowest point) in the catch-can where sterilizer is located, so regardless of the small size, still all the water eventually travels through it as some point. Which make the water clear and smell-free. before it returns to the main res through a particulate mesh filter.

All I have to do is clear 3 filters on the weekly basis - sterilizer intake's, returning pump intake's and the inline mesh filter in the main res.

Update- because my sump pump is suspended in the main res - algae blooms appear right on the bottom of the res, in undisturbed waters beneath the pump. And white mold, root rot on some root rot survivors, algae slime in rails - all of this pushed me to make a purchase of the second, more powerful recirculating sterilizer for the main res. I will sanitize every rail and a net cup when I harvest the remains of the holocaust survivors, so I hope to never see any other life forms besides the finest marijuana in my setup going forward. I really shouldn't with a sterilizer in each res!

pond_sterilizer.JPG

I have my water temp at 85F (no chiller) and still no root rot or algae. There is some white mold growing directly on some of the plugs, but it does not seem to interfere with anything. I clean 150 micron filter with every res water change and there is very little plugging of holes on the filter. The water is always crystal clear and there is no slime anywhere in the system. I haven't had a clogged sprayer in months

Conclusion: sterilization rules and I would advise this to anyone! Far cheaper than using water chiller for sure

although I have not experimented with UV, I have read that it tends to pull out Iron. So I would be interested if you at any time see some iron deficiency.

I know this is an old thread but maybe I'll get some feedback anyways.....
I'm looking into investing in a UV sterilizer for my DWC system. Has anyone used UV sterilization in a DWC system with long term success (multiple grows)? Anyone using UV sterilization AND organic nutrients? Success or fail...?? Good idea to use this or should I pass?

Back
Top Bottom